chapter nineteen

"Could I have your attention, please?" said McGonagall, standing up from her desk. The students, who were chatting softly, fell silent, waiting for the teacher to speak. "Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals... into water goblets. Like so," She held her wand out, pointed at her hornbill, a big bird with black and white feathers. "One, two, three... Vera Verto."

The animal quickly transformed into a gleaming goblet, causing the students to gasp in amazement.

"Now it's your turn. Who would like to go first?" She walked towards the desks, and stopped in front of where Harry and Ron were sitting. "Ah, Mr. Weasley! Remember, 'One, two, three, Vera Verto."

Ben straightened up and leaned over the desk he shared with Neville so he could look at Ron, who cleared his throat and said, "Vera Verto!"

His rat did transform into a goblet, but it was covered in the animal's brown fur, and it had a hairless tail that wagged.

Giggles were heard all over the classroom. Ron's ears went pink, and he took the goblet to examine it with a frown. McGonagall shook her head, "That wand needs replacement, Mr. Weasley."

Hermione lifted her hand up in the air slowly. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about... the Chamber of Secrets."

The woman's eyes widened in surprise. She definitely didn't expect Hermione to ask her about that. The rest of the students were in silence, clearly interested in hearing what the teacher had to tell them about it.

"Very well... You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age; Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin." She made a pause. "Now, three of the founders coexisted great harmoniously. One, did not."

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods." Ben remembered hearing his family talk about that subject thousands of times. "Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing... purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggleborns..." muttered Hermione.

McGonagall nodded. "Well. Naturally, the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found."

"Professor?" called Hermione.  "What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

"The Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home... of a monster."

———————————————

"Do you think it's true?" asked Ron once class was over. "Do you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?"

"Yes!" Hermione rushed to answer. "Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried, all the teachers are."

"And rightfully so," commented Ben. "Look at what happened yesterday, it could happen again, imagine if people start getting petrified, too!"

"But if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and... it really has been opened, that means..." Harry began.

"That the Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts." concluded Hermione. "But the question is, who is it?"