chapter sixty

Ben was sure he'd never forget the look on Harry's face when he and Malfoy walked into the Potions classroom together.

"You're late, Mr. Walker-" said Snape as soon as he had set foot inside. However, when Malfoy followed him in, his expression shifted completely.

"Excuse him, Professor," said Malfoy. "I'm the one who delayed him."

Snape's small, dark eyes went from Malfoy to Ben, and back to Malfoy, and once again to Ben. He exchanged glances with the Slytherin, who didn't seem worried at all. Of course, Snape never took away House Points from him. Everyone was staring at them, understandably confused as to why none but Draco Malfoy had defended none but Ben Walker.

He avoided looking at Harry as much as possible.

"Take your seats, then," said Snape, and turned his back on his students to pick something up from his desk.

Malfoy leaned over to Ben, and whispered, "Sit with me."

"Why?"

"I want to talk to you."

So, seeing as Neville was already sitting next to Hermione, Ron and Harry, and he didn't feel like joining them, and the other option was sitting near Seamus, who was still not talking to Harry, Ben obeyed. He followed Malfoy to a couple of empty seats, surprisingly away from all of his Slytherin friends.

Snape began explaining what they were supposed to do, and Ben made an effort to listen attentively, in order to focus on something aside from Malfoy being right beside him. When it was time for everyone to start preparing their ingredients, before setting off with their potions, he turned to Malfoy.

"Why did you defend me?" he asked, sounding way rougher than intended.

"I didn't defend you," he said, turning the pages of his book.

"You said you delayed me."

"Which is the truth."

Ben pursed his lips. "Well then why did you tell the truth?"

He shrugged. "I wanted to."

Silence fell between both boys. Malfoy was still turning pages, and Ben reached into his bag to get his own book. He rumbled between the many volumes, notes and pieces of parchment, and realised his Potions book was nowhere to be found.

"Shit."

Malfoy looked up, raising an eyebrow. "Need anything, Walker?"

"I forgot my book."

A hint of an amused smirk appeared on Malfoy's face. Ben frowned at him. What was he grinning about? But then the blond pushed his own copy across the table, so it was between the both of them.

"Thank you."

"Of course."

Ben breathed out heavily and noticed Harry whispering something to Ron from the other side of the room. The black-haired boy glanced over at him for an instant, and Ben's heart gave a jolt.

Malfoy grabbed him by his arm, making him turn away. "What the fuck?"

"Don't stare at him like that," said Malfoy, shaking his head in a disappointed demeanour. "You look desperate."

"I'm not desperate."

"He's not even all that anyway."

"Good thing you don't like him, then."

How could someone not find him handsome? He was the most gorgeous person he had ever seen, both in and out. He was running a hand through his hair right now, biting his lip as he flipped the pages of his Potions book. Merlin, he drove him crazy, it was... Ridiculous.