chapter seven

"You know, I've been thinking about what happened last night," said Harry the next morning, as he walked towards the first class with Ron and Ben. "And I think Hermione's right."

"About what?" grumbled Ron, clearly not wanting to agree with the girl.

"About that dog guarding something," he clarified, lowering the volume in case someone overheard them. "And I think I know what it might be..."

"What?"

"Whatever Hagrid took from that chamber," he said. "Whatever the witch or wizard who broke into Gringotts was searching for."

"That makes sense," agreed Ben. "Gringotts and Hogwarts are the two safest places you could think of, right?"

"Exacly," nodded Harry.

"But why would they hide it there?" asked Ron. "There's plenty of other places they could have chosen... Such as Dumbledore's office, for example. That'd be pretty safe, and there wouldn't be any risk of getting killed by a three-headed dog."

"Because Dumbledore's office is where everyone would look first if they were trying to find something at Hogwarts," reasoned Harry. "However, if you hide it in a trapdoor, guarded by a huge dog, in a locked room, at the end of a corridor that doesn't look any more special than the others, nobody would imagine it's there."

"But it does look more special than the others, though," commented Ben. Harry frowned. "It's forbidden. And Dumbledore won't tell the students why. That makes people wonder what's in there, it raises curiosity. And that stops it from being a normal corridor."

Harry focused his gaze towards the floor, as the three boys remained silent. They entered the classroom without uttering a single word, their minds filled with questions. A couple of pieces had clicked, but the puzzle was far more complicated than they thought it would be, and there was still a lot they had to find out in order to figure it out.

———————————————

Halloween morning arrived, and Hermione still hadn't spoken a word to Harry, Ron and Ben ever since the dog incident. Ron was quite glad about it and Ben, who didn't really dislike the girl, it was truly a peace of mind to be able to live without being scolded by Hermione every two hours.

Regarding the punch, Ben hadn't heard anything from either his or Malfoy's family, which made him wonder if Draco's father had actually 'heard about this'.

Harry thought Malfoy was probably trying to find a way to get back at him, and Ron decided they had to have something planned in case he tried to do it. Hermione once heard them talking about it, and she let them know she found it childish to turn it into a war.

Harry reminded her she wasn't talking to them, so she got back to it.

During Charms, Professor Flitwick announced that he thought they were ready to start practising some simple spells. He wanted them to start with the very easy levitating charm. He paired Harry with Seamus, Neville and Ben, and, to the redhead's desmain, Ron with Hermione.

Ron got as close to Ben and Neville as he could. But the teacher noticed, and he made Hermione approach Ron too, so the four of them ended up like canned sardines.