chapter eighteen

The Gryffindor Quidditch team had booked the pitch for them one day very early in the morning. Oliver Wood had made Harry wake up before dawn, and he left the Gryffindor tower like a zombie.

When Hermione, Ron and Ben arrived, Colin Creevey was already there, sitting on the stands. They sat in the row behind him. The friends had planned to go visit Hagrid when the practice was over, so Ben had decided to write Alycia a letter meanwhile. He hoped she would talk to him if he was the one who started the conversation.

Hello Alycia!

You won't guess who's our DADA teacher this year; Gilderoy Lockhart! Aunt Lydia would freak out if she found out. But he's actually terrible, the other day he made us do a test to find out how much we remembered about his books.

But instead of being about interesting things that we had learned from reading about his adventures, it was all about him. 'What's Gilderoy Lockhart's favourite food?', 'What's the thing Gilderoy Lockhart loves most about himself?'...

I mean, I wouldn't have passed the test if it was about his adventures either, because I haven't read his books, but it's quite weird to make a whole test about yourself.

Anyways, I hope you're doing great.

Love,

Ben.

A shout from Ron nearly made Ben drop the ink on Colin's head. "Aren't you finished yet?"

The Gryffindor team had finally left the locker room after at least twenty minutes. "Haven't even started!" Harry shouted back. "Wood's been teaching us new moves!"

"Hey, why is the Slytherin team here?" Ben nudged Ron gently, pointing at the other side of the field while he folded his letter and slipped it into the envelope.

The Slytherin captain, Marcus Flint, seemed to be arguing with Oliver Wood. Hermione, Ron and Ben ran down from their seats. "Hey, where are you going?" asked Colin.

"Oh, look," said Flint as soon as they arrived. "A field invasion."

They suddenly noticed Malfoy was there, with the Slytherin team, wearing Quidditch Robes.

"What's happening?" Ron asked Harry. "Why aren't you playing? And what's he doing here?"

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," said Malfoy, smugly. "Everyone's just been admiring the brooms my father's bought our team."

The blond was giving the broom unnecessary little turns in his hands. It was a black one with a glossy finish, and the whole team had them. Based on the surprised expressions on Harry, Ron, Oliver and the rest of the team's faces, it had to be the Nimbus Two Thousand and One. It was the new best broom on the market, and it was very expensive. But, of course, for a family like the Malfoys, it wasn't a big price to pay.

"Good, aren't they?" sneered Malfoy. "I guess it's the benefits of being rich, don't you think?"

"Ben's rich too," Ron muttered, trying to argue.

"Yeah, but the difference between us is that my parents care about me."

"Will you ever drop that?" Ben rolled his eyes. "Seriously, I'm not even trying to be funny. It's just getting boring to hear you keep saying that over and over, mate."

"Whatever you say, but let me remind you that I got into the team with the help of my generous father, while you still have those stupid old broomsticks."

The Slytherin team burst into laughter.

"But perhaps the Gryffindor team will be able to raise some gold and get new brooms, too. You could raffle off those Cleansweep Fives; I expect a museum would bid for them."