chapter fourty-six

(A/N: I wasn't planning on publishing this chapter yet, but this fanfic reached 80k reads so, to celebrate it, get ready for a long and intense chapter, including the yule ball!
Also, trigger warning: there's mentions of internalised homophobia and a slur.)

The party in the Gryffindor common room was... awesome. Everyone burst into cheers and claps as soon as Harry walked in. There were mountains of cakes and flagons of pumpkin juice and butterbeer on every surface; Lee Jordan had let off some Filibuster's Fireworks, so that the air was thick with stars and sparks; and Dean Thomas, who was very good at drawing, had put up some impressive new banners, most of which depicted Harry zooming around the Horntail's head on his Firebolt, though a couple showed Cedric with his head on fire, something that Ben didn't like in the slightest.

Everyone seemed to be back at liking Harry, and they kept congratulating and complimenting him.

Ben found it quite hypocritical of them, since barely some hours ago most of them were making fun of him and talking shit behind his back. However, he didn't say a word, since he was glad Harry was finally happier than before.

Apart from the fact that he was no longer being hated on, he and Ron had also finally made up. The redhead had approached him after the task, and, after long enough, he had spoken to him.

So, now the four of them were back together.

"I'm so glad this is finally over," commented Ben.

"What do you mean by this?" asked Ron.

"You two being mad at each other," he replied. "It was starting to get annoying not being able to be with you both at the same time."

"Honestly," agreed Hermione.

Ron grinned. "I'm gonna go get some more cake," he announced, and shot a quick glance at Harry and Ben. "Want to come, Hermione?"

"Sure," she said, standing up and following Ron into the crowd.

Ben looked at Harry. "I don't think I've ever been as scared as I've been today."

Harry chuckled. "I'm sorry for that."

"You did amazing, though," he said, meaning it, yet still smiling. "Seriously. You did a wonderful job, I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you for saying that," whispered Harry, his lips curling up into a smile. "And for last night."

"You don't need to thank me for that."

"I want to, though."

His eyes gleamed with a captivating beauty in the shadows, illuminated solely by the glow emanating from the fireplace in front of them.

Wait, no, gleamed was an understatement. No word could adequately capture the incandescent glow pouring from Harry's eyes, the dazzling radiance that surpassed the combined gleam of every star in the night sky.

Ben found himself longing to spend the rest of his life gazing into those bewitching, heavenly eyes, contemplating all the beautiful thoughts they conjured in his mind.

Oh, Merlin, was he going crazy? Could it be possible for someone to go insane over someone else's beauty? He was certain about it. Because he was, indeed, losing his mind over his eyes. However, deep down, he knew it wasn't only over his eyes. He was losing his mind over every single thing about him; his voice, his way of speaking, his sarcasm, his courage, the way he deeply cared about everyone, the way he playfully teased Ben, his laugh, his hair, and how soft and fluffy it was (and how hard he tried to make it flat, although Ben was in love with its messiness), his smile, and his lips.