chapter five

TW: implied reference to a homophobic slur

It felt surreal for Ben to remember that it had only been a week since he left home and began living and studying at Hogwarts. It was as though he had been there for months already. Perhaps being away from his family made time go by faster than usual. He was honestly having quite a lot of fun at school. Harry and Ron seemed to have forgotten the little argument they had with Ben on their first day, something that he was very grateful and relieved for. And Ron had almost stopped those bitter comments about Ben and his family, so the trio of boys had started going everywhere together.

Cedric had come across Ben a couple of times during that week, too, when the three young Gryffindors came across him trying to find their class, and the older Hufflepuff helped them again.

However, someone who had not talked to him was Audrey. He had watched her from afar during meals, hoping she would approach him, but she obviously didn't. He honestly didn't really understand why he wanted her to talk to him, knowing she'd probably yell at him, or call him something rude if she did, but he still wanted to have a chance to explain her he didn't mean to become a Gryffindor, and that he didn't want her to hate him.

He was also worried about his parents. He hadn't heard from them since he left home, and it was something to be scared of. Right after the Sorting Ceremony, he had expected them to write him a letter telling him he was going to be disinherited, but they hadn't done anything. And it could mean two things: that they didn't care about it, and that they didn't mind him being a Gryffindor; or that they needed time to decide what kind of punishment he'd receive.

He wanted to believe it was the first option, but he knew it was very unlikely, so he could only wait to see what happened.

Ron and Harry told him not to worry about it. They thought the lack of reaction from Ben's parents could only mean something good.

"I don't think so," he disagreed, walking across the grounds to see Hagrid, who had invited Harry and his friends over. "I just think it's creepy."

"Well perhaps you can talk to your sister," suggested Harry.

"Audrey?" asked Ron, eyebrows furrowed.

Harry chuckled. "Of course not."

"But how am I going to talk to Alycia, then?" wondered Ben.

"There's something called letters, Ben," Ron stuck his tongue out at Ben, who rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Exactly," nodded Harry. "So why don't you write her one, and ask her about your parents?"

"Because my parents might see the letter before her, and that would end up getting us both in trouble," he explained. "Besides I don't have an owl."

"You can always use Hedwig if you need to."

"Thanks," smiled Ben. "But I think I'll just wait to see what happens."

"Alright.

When they reached the edge of the forbidden forest, Harry knocked at the door of a small wooden house. A frantic scrabbling and several loud barks were heard from inside.

"Back, Fang, back!" shouted a voice from inside.

Hagrid opened the door, struggling to hold an enormous black boarhound. "Hang on- Fang!"

He managed to push the dog inside, and signalled the three boys to walk in, closing the door behind them. The house consisted of one room, with hams and pheasants hanging from the ceiling. A copper kettle boiled on the fireplace, and there was a huge bed with a colourful patchwork quilt over it in the corner.