chapter fifty

A/N: it's here...

There was no news from either of his parents or other family members for months. Absolutely no news.

Not even any of those letters Alycia used to send him every now and then, telling any random fact she had learned, or something she had found out, or to tell him what she had done, and, sometimes, to show him one of the drawings she had made, since she had always told him how much she loved his paintings.

But Alycia didn't send him a single letter. He had sent her quite a lot, mostly in April and May but, given the fact that there was no reply, he gave up in June.

It wasn't the first time it had happened, so now he was rather certain that it didn't mean she was mad at him, something that he was glad about. However, he couldn't relax, since there was a high chance that it meant she was in trouble, too.

Everything was beginning to look darker, regarding the Death Eaters. There had been news about a couple more attacks, a disappearence, and the murder of Barty Crouch, which shocked the entire school.

Ben, Harry, Hermione and Ron agreed that there was no doubt that something awful was about to happen. The questions were; when would it happen? and what, exactly?

The only thing they could do was wait.

The wait was over on the 24th of June, the afternoon of the third and last task of the Triwizard Tournament.

Everyone was freaking out; the champions due to how nervous they were, and the rest of the students due to the excitement. They were all gathered in the Quidditch pitch, though it was no longer a Quidditch pitch... It had been transformed into an enormous maze.

It turned out that the third task would consist of entering the maze, getting to the center and then retrieving something that was there; the Triwizard cup. It didn't sound too difficult... At first.

They then found out that the maze was, of course, bewitched. It was full of spells, traps and tricks to make it harder. So, Hermione and Ben had been helping Harry practice every single spell they thought could come in handy.

The families of each of the champions had been invited to watch the task. But, since Harry's parents were... Unable to attend... It was Mrs. Weasley and Bill who came to support Harry.

"Ben!"

He spun around, and scanned his surroundings to see who had called him. His eyes stopped on Cedric, who was waving at him, standing in the grass. He turned to his friends. "I'll be right back."

"Okay."

Ben ran down the stands, approaching Cedric. The older boy was accompanied by a couple that he assumed were his parents.

"Hello!" he greeted.

"Oh, so this must be our other son?" asked Mrs. Diggory, her pink lips drawing a bright smile.

She was a beautiful woman, with light brown, wavy hair, and sweet chocolate brown eyes. It was clear whose genes Cedric had inherited, no offense to his father.

Ben, blinked, a bit confused. "W-What?"

Cedric's father let out one of those fatherly laughs. "Don't worry, Benjamin, it's just a joke."

"Ced has told us a lot about you," explained Mrs. Diggory kindly. "And he always says you're the little brother he always wished he had."

"Mum, I told you not to tell him that!" complained Cedric, looking both horrified and embarrassed at the fact that he heard it. "Please ignore them, Ben... I'm actually not that weird..."