Chapter 22

---------- Chapter 22 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “I feel like I haven’t eaten in days!” I mumble once I’m done with my burger.

               “It has been a stressful couple of days,” Matt agrees. “You were with the Daniels, then when you get back the whole Haden drama starts. Then you run away with Carter. And all of this within a week. I suppose it’s no surprise you’re starved. When’s the last time you’ve had a proper meal?”

I shrug my shoulders, not exactly sure either. The food at the Daniels’ residence was rather unpleasant. Couple that with the fact that I hated it there. Suffice it to say I may have lost more than a kilo in that one week.

Matt’s phone starts vibrating on the table and he picks it up cautiously. “Hey Alex! I’m gonna put you on loudspeaker, okay? At least that way I won’t have to repeat everything to Jess”

               “Dude, you gotta get back up here. We’re in trouble,” Alex whispers, obviously agitated.

               “Wait! What kind of trouble?” Matt demands, but the other line is already dead.

               “Oh god,” I whisper, every horrible possibility flashing through my mind.

Matt grabs my arm and pulls me along with him. We bolt up the stairs and within a minute and a half we’re running down the fifth floor hallway to Haden’s room. Matt throws the door open, instantly alert.

Alex sits by Haden’s side, seemingly perfectly calm. Haden’s eyes are open and calculating.

               “What happened?” Matt demands, at Haden’s other side.

               “Close the door please, Jess,” Alex instructs. I close the door and walk over to Haden slowly.

               “Okay, we have a slight situation. Haden’s wound is...considered somewhat serious. And well...people don’t end up with wound like that on an everyday basis,” Alex hedges.

               “Spit it out!” Matt demands.

               “Here’s the thing. My wound bears similarities to a wound inflicted by a knife. Obviously the hospital assumes that I’ve been stabbed. This makes it a police case,” Haden explains, trying to keep his voice light.

               “So what?” I ask, not following.

               “They will need to run blood tests and they’ll question,” Haden answers, his eyes boring into mine.

               “I don’t get it,” I admit after a heartbeat.

               “Jess, Haden isn’t human. What do you think will happen when they run the blood tests?” Alex continues.

               “Oh”

               “Yes. So we gotta split,” Matt announces, matter of factly.

               “How does that help? Don’t they already have your blood?” I ask, still baffled.

               “We’ll handle that. Jessy, do you think you can take Haden back to the mansion? Tell Emily and Anderson to pack up. We gotta hit the road as soon as we can,” Alex murmurs softly.

               “But Haden...he needs rest,” I mumble.

               “Yes, but we need to get out of here even more.  You can do that simple thing right, Jess? Just hail a cab. Alex and I will meet you guys back in the mansion the moment we can, alright?” Matt reassures.