Chapter 44

----------- Chapter 44 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haden walks on ahead and it takes him a couple of moments to realise I’m not behind him. He turns around, looking quizzically at me but I can’t move! I’m not kidding! I cannot move.

His eyes drink in my trembling body and he smiles sympathetically before walking over to me. “Come on, Jess. There’s no backing out now,” he whispers, patting me on the back.

I shake my head a couple of times. “Sorry Haden but I can’t do it. I just cannot! I’m too afraid,” I whisper hoarsely. I can see the guys from earlier watching the both of us knowingly. This must be a pretty common occurrence.

               “Jess, you have to get checked out. Babe, we’re talking about your health here,” he coaxes, kneeling down in front of me.

I shake my head stubbornly. Why didn’t I think of this earlier? Haden can’t force me to go into the examination room. All he could do was bring me here. He’s powerless now. I feel a small, smug smile creep its way onto my face.

               “Jessy, you’re making the doctor wait, babe. That isn’t nice,” Haden murmurs, tucking the loose strands of my hair behind my ears.

               “I’m not doing it. Yeah, you brought me here, but there’s no way you can force me to get examined,” I murmur easily, resisting the urge to stick my tongue out at him.

Haden smirks a little and kisses my forehead. “You’re a really smart girl, Jess,” he whispers before getting up and walking across the waiting room to where the young doctor stands. The both of them exchange a few words before the doctor is smiling and nodding his head. The doctor walks back into the room and I exhale in relief.

I know I’ll have to go through an examination at some point. But it isn’t going to be today. I’m on a slight high from this very unexpected win.

Haden walks back towards me, an amused glint in his eyes. “Come on,” he murmurs, motioning for me to follow him. I grin and get up.

               “Will you still take me out for dinner? I’m hungry,” I grumble, locking our fingers together as I skip merrily.

               “Of course, I promised that I would take you to dinner after, didn’t I?” he reminds me casually.

I nod my head happily. Victory is so sweet sometimes. “Babe, you’re really happy, aren’t you?” Haden comments as he bends down to tie his shoelaces. I smile and nod happily. Yeah, I have the whole arrogant thing going on, but Haden completely asked for this kind of treatment! That’ll teach him to never try and force me to do something I don’t want again!

The next thing I know, Haden’s got a hand knocking the back of my knees so I lose my balance and fall backwards. He grabs me before I can hit the ground and I’m in his arms. He grins down at me, turning tail and carrying me over to the doctors room. He throws me over one shoulder to make sure he can keep a hold over me as I trash around angrily.

               “Haden!” I screech, slamming my fists against his back.

He merely chuckles at my feeble attempts to free myself. Eventually, I manage to pick out another chuckle and I realise I’m in the doctors room. “Jessy dear, meet Dr Ralph Bates,” Haden introduces as he places me on my feet.

My face must be beetroot red by now. Dr Ralph smiles amusedly and holds his hand out for me to shake. I reach forward and take his hand before quickly pulling back and shrinking into Haden’s side.