Chapter 17, Can't

Eren slid out of your arms and stood up straight. He stared at you in the eyes and only asked, "...Why?" You weakly pulled the knife out of his back and watched him steam. You held it to his throat and said, "I have to slit your throat. This is my last mission, I'm sorry." Just as you were about to cut him, your grip came loose from the knife and it fell the the ground. You said, "I can't." You whispered, "I want to hurt you the way you hurt me, but I just can't." Eren softly smiled at you and embraced you once more. "Can I give you an explanation now? Come sit down and eat with me."

He took your hand and pulled you towards his table as if you didn't just attempt to murder him. As he sat you down, everyone was still staring at you. Jean whispered, "You should've stabbed him harder." Eren surprisingly ignored Jean and spoke, " Y/n, Mikasa and I both want to let you know how sorry we are." You awkwardly smiled and said, "Oh, its alright. I get it was an accident." You stood up from the table and said, "I better get heading home."

Eren glared at you with eyes of sorrow, "You're not gonna.. stay?" The way he said it made you want to cry. You started to walk away without saying anything so it would maybe be easier, but it wasn't. As you opened the door to leave, Eren stood up from his table. He shakily asked, "Do you love me anymore?" You do love Eren, but at this point it is almost impossible for you two to be together. "No. We need to sign the papers." It felt like someone had stabbed you in the chest once you said that.

Eren whimpered, "But.. I don't want... I don't want to get divorced" You held back your tears as you stated, "I'm afraid that's not your choice." After a few moments of silence, Eren cried softly, "You know I still love you, right?" You asked, "Is that why you cheated on me?" Eren ignored your question and said, "Jean already agreed to father that baby like it's his own. Mikasa said I'm not allowed to see the kid, and I don't want to. I want to start a family with you, not her!" You shrugged, "Well I don't want that. I want a divorce." Erens face became stained with tears as he cried, "I'd hate myself if I agreed to that! I love you!"

You stayed silent. Eren asked, "Is there someone else now? Is that why you're saying this?" You again didn't reply. He asked, "Is it Reiner? Porco? Is it my brother?" You scoffed, "This is ridiculous. I'm going to the court to get the paperwork. I'll be back." Eren called out, "Y/n-" But Levi grabbed his arm and demanded, "Let her go." You walked out the door just for Hanji and Hitch to follow you. Hitch asked, "Are you serious about this y/n? You really want to divorce him?" You continued to walk in the direction of the nearest courtroom. "It would be wrong of me to continue to marry Eren. As much as he whines and begs and cries about how much he loves me, he'd probably cheat again."

Hanji said, "Y/n, at least try to understand where he's coming from. When he found out you were a Marleyan it hurt-" You cut Hanji off and asked, "It hurt him so bad he fucked Mikasa?" Hanji yelled, "Fucking listen to me!" You kept quiet as she continued, "It hurt him really bad and he was angry. He also thought that you were for sure going to die, and Mikasa is his second choice. Eren only had sex with her to try and get over you. Her truly wants you and not her, and he obviously didn't mean to get her pregnant. Please just see where he's coming from."

You looked at Hanji, "I do see where he's coming from. But you know very well I've already decided to go back to Marley and stay there. My last mission was to kill Eren and I've already failed. The least I can do is get divorced." Hanji and Hitch continued to walk alongside you quietly for about a minute. Hitch asked, "Forget Eren, what about us? Even if you hate Eren's guts and want him dead, you don't have to leave. There's other people that want you here too. Armin, Jean, Levi, me, Hanji, Floch, Mikasa, and Connie all want you here." Hanji added, "If you're leaving for just Eren, you're selfish." You replied, "It's not just you guys. It's my friends back at home. You guys can't seem to grasp the thought everything not being about you!"