Life isn't so bad after all

Aurora

Aurora stared at the passing by of blurred green and all sorts of colors, as they drove back to her apartment. The ride so far had been filled with silence, with none of them talking and not even the radio had been put on. It was completely still but the only one affected by the silence must have been her, since she knew Matteo wasn't one to talk much.

She continued to stay quiet as he drove her back to her place. A place that she did not want to go back to, but she needed to see if her cat was still okay. She felt embarrassed that she cried in front of Matteo over a cat who could be starving. It was such a typical childish act that must have changed his view on her. He must be seeing her as some pathetic child.

She couldn't help that she was sensitive, but she still couldn't help but want to kick herself for looking like a fool in front of him.

She was a bit confused as they neared her apartment. Matteo had not once asked for her address like she had expected him to. It all felt a bit off to her that he was driving her to her place, but maybe he wasn't even going to her home. Maybe he was taking her somewhere else first.

That thought soon diminished the moment she recognized the street that came just before hers. She familiarized herself with this street as she walked this same exact one everyday for work. She wondered how he knew exactly where to go when he never even asked her to direct him on where to go.

She ignored the weird feeling in her stomach as it began to grow from being suspicious about it.

They arrived at the apartment complex and as soon as they did, she saw in the corner of her eye Matteo checking his phone. She was a bit hurt to see that he wasn't going to wave her off or at least say goodbye to her, something that she wanted him to do. Instead he was looking at his phone as if she wasn't sitting in his car with him.

His brows were furrowed as he seemed to be reading a message and she could tell it was troublesome news from the way he clenched his jaw every now and then. He always seemed to be frustrated but this message made him really angry.

"A-are you okay?" she asked softly.

All he replied with was a "mmh" sound, as if he wasn't listening to her. She felt as if they were once again strangers, taking her back to when he was completely closed off and didn't even utter a single word to her. As if he was starting to become that really mean person who he was in the beginning before he became less mean to her.

Aurora gasped as he flung his phone over his shoulder, the phone hitting the backseat. He muttered a string of curse words under his breath but her good hearing had caught all the bad words he had spoken. He pinched the bridge of his nose and he started roughly breathing through his nose, reminding her of a wild animal.

He looked really angry at that moment and she gulped as she took in his terrifying look on his face. The muscles in his jaw flexed as he kept grinding his teeth, and his gaze that now snapped to her was so sharp that she flinched.

His eyes were so dark as they were glued on her face. His eyes flitted to something behind her and his scowl on his face had deepened, clearly not liking what he was seeing. Noticing that he was looking at the old barely stable building that she lived in, she felt ashamed that he had to see that. It was nothing like the beautiful house that he owned.

"You're not getting out?" he asked, his voice extremely low.

She had missed the words that had escaped his lips as her gaze was transfixed on the blackened globes of his eyes. She was so drawn to them that it felt like she was getting sucked into a pit of never ending darkness. It had her pinned to the seat as they stared at her, hard.