A facade is broken

Thank you guys so much for the 36k reads. I love you all, mwah.

Aurora

Staring blankly at the wall of her room, Aurora's throat suddenly felt parched. She hadn't had a glass of water in quite a while and in a hurry to get to her room, she didn't take any water with her.

She groaned as she realized that she had to leave her room, not being able to ignore her dry throat that desperately needed to be quenched with water. She threw the blankets off of her, her cat being startled for a few seconds before falling back asleep.

She didn't want to make a lot of noise and trying to be as quiet as possible, she slowly opened the door. With each little squeak it made she cringed, hoping that Matteo didn't hear anything or wake up from the sound. Even though it was faint, everything was a amped up at night.

The stairs were luckily not made of wood, her feet making little tapping noises against the stairs as she walked down. Aurora smiled as she grabbed the water bottle from the fridge, opening it up she took a huge gulp of the refreshing liquid. She sighed in content, closing the fridge and making sure that she would retreat back to her room in this stealth mode.

"Can't sleep?"

She jumped as she heard his voice behind her. She whipped around to see Matteo leaning against the wall, the light being flicked on and his shirtless body was very evident.

She guessed that her avoiding Matteo at all costs has come to an end.

"I was thirsty." she said, showing him the water bottle.

He hummed. They looked at each other for a while, as if assessing one another since they hadn't seen each other for quite some time now. Aurora examined the look on his face closely, seeing that he was sleep deprived from the evident darkness showcased below his eyes.

There was a pink hue that formed in the white of his eyes that gave the impression that he must be tired. She felt a bit worried for him since it has been the first time she had seen him in a while, and Matteo looked like he desperately needed some sleep.

"Have you eaten anything?" he asked her.

This was she was avoiding, especially with him.

She replied hesitantly, "Y-yes."

Matteo looked at her as if he didn't believe her. It was easy to notice when Aurora lied, aside from her stuttering which was a normal thing on her part, she would always shift her gaze. She also had the tendency to play with her fingers, or fidget around with something.

"Are you sure? You're not lying to me, are you?"

Aurora avoided his gaze, scratching the label of the water bottle. "Of course not. I had Malinda g-give me something to eat while you were away."

She felt his gaze penetrate through her body. "Is that so?"

Matteo pushed his body off from against the wall, sliding his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants. Aurora's heart thumped loudly against her chest as he took tantalizing steps towards her, painfully slow as well. She felt like a criminal would had just been caught.

"Then tell me why Malinda said that you wouldn't accept any of the food that she offered you. You never even left your room today."

She mentally slapped herself.

Of course he would ask Malinda about what went on in the house during the day. It was also her duty to disclose every but of information about what transpired in his house while he was away. He sounded like a father who wanted to know every detail about his daughter when he wasn't at home.