twenty-nine.

Steve Harrington pulled up outside of Dustin Hendersons house, the boy quickly getting out of the car and heading towards the house. He rang the doorbell, a small smile on his lips as he thought about helping Dustin out. The door opened, Dustins mom greeting him and sending him back to Dustins room.

"Henderson. Alright man lets fix this up." Steve said, giving Dustin a concentrated look as he grabbed the Farrah Fawcett spray from his hand. Once Steve was satisfied with Dustins hair and Dustin was satisfied with Dustins hair they headed out, Steve thanking his mom on the way out. They hurried to the car, Dustin buzzing about the dance as they drove.

"I'm just nervous." Dustin said, making the corner of Steves lips turn up as he said it. He shook his head, looking over at the younger boy before looking back at the road.

"No need to be nervous." He reassured, Dustin nodding at his words. They sat in silence for just a few moments before Dustin spoke again, a curious look on his face.

"Does Christine make you nervous?"

"Woah! Dude what? Out of pocket! Where did that even come from?" Steve said, shaking his head as he refused to answer that.

"I saw the way you two were after the tunnels. You should have kissed her." Dustin said, raising his hands in surrender as he kept his eyes on Steve. 

"Dude." Steve said, shaking his head. He thought about it for a moment, realizing how damn right he was and then letting out a sigh. "I know."

"Alright buddy here we are." Steve informed Dustin as they pulled into the parking lot of Hawkins Middle School. He pressed the break, both of them looking at the gym doors . Steve's eyes wandered to Dustin, noting the worried look on his face and leaping into reassuring the young boy. "So, remember, one you get in there...."

"Pretend I don't care." Dustin gave him a short nod, looking at Steve like he was about to ace a test. Christines words bounced around in the back of his mind but in the grand total of girls that Steve had gotten and girls that Christine had gotten, Steve was the winner.

"You don't care."

"I don't care." Dustin reassured, Steve and him both looking in front of them.

"There you go. You're learning my friend. You're learning." Dustin reached up and moved the rear view mirror, pulling it down so he could see himself. Steve furrowed his eyebrows, reaching for the mirror and slightly shaking his head.

"Hey..."

"What?" Dustin said guiltily and without certainty,  Steve quick to remind him of what he was calling him out for.

"Come on. You look great okay? You look...you look great. Okay? Now you're gonna go in there—" Steve started, Dustin agreeing with him.

"Yeah."

"—look like a million bucks—"

"Yeah."

"And you're gonna slay 'em dead." Steve said, a finality in his tone as he gave Dustin a overly certain look.

"Like a lion." Dustin purred after that statement, Steve giving him a forced smile and a cringing face.