Atop The Hill.

They sat atop the hill, close, but not quite touching. His voice rang out loud and clear, like a lightning strike on a clear night. "Grian, everywhere the light touches, is ours."

Grian glanced out over the piles of badly lit up sand sitting before them, before turning his attention back to the person beside him. "Scar, that honestly doesn't mean much, there are lots of dark patches..."

He could see the slight shake in the taller man's serious expression as he bit back a smile. Scar made eye contact. "C'mon G, it's no fun if you don't work with me here!"

Choosing to make the possibly terrible decision of encouraging Scars antics, Grian played along, over exaggerating his already evident British accent. "Alright my liege, I shall set off in the morn prior to daybreak, to thoroughly ensure that we are able to eradicate those pesky blind spots before the sun reaches its highest point, so that I may join you for supper. It would be awfully terrible if our lovely meal got interrupted, wouldn't you say?"

Scar grinned, eyes lighting up. "Why of course Sir G-man, it would be completely outrageous if even a single pesky creature intruded on our amayzin lunch. I feel that I must brandish my iron sword bravely, and join you in your mighty conquest on the fine morrow!"

Grian fell back laughing, feeling his wheat-blond hair mixing with the cool sand beneath them. "Oh my goodness, Scar, I didn't even realize that you knew half those words!"

Scar scoffed, pretending to be offended. "You think so very little of me, I know tons of awesome words! I know baloney, tifermabel, lasagna..."

Grian fell into giggles. "Scar, two of those are different kinds of foods, and the other isn't even a real word!"

There was a beat of silence. "TIFERMABEL ISN'T A REAL WORD?!" He looked like a child who just figured out a plot twist in their favourite movie, and they weren't very happy about it.

"No Scar, it isn't!" He stared at Grian in disbelief, before looking at his boots, eyes wide.

"My whole life is a lie."

Grian just cackled, letting his head fall gently onto Scar's shoulder, supporting him as his giggles slowly faded. He sat there for a moment before letting himself get more comfortable, leaning further against Scar's side. "What are you doing?" He was able to hear the words vibrate from Scar's chest. Interesting.

"I'm resting! The sun has gone down, so it's cold, and we haven't even gotten around to building beds in our base yet! You're really comfortable, I would rather sleep on top of you than on the floor."

"Oh." He felt Scar shift beneath him, turning so that Grian could sit more comfortably in his lap, his head still hanging over Scar's shoulder. "Is this, uhhh... is this better?"

Melting into the touch, Grian nodded. "Yeah." He could already feel himself beginning to drift off. He wondered if Scar would move him if he fell asleep here. He could certainly try. He was very comfortable, though, Grian had to admit it. Like a big teddy bear.

After a few minutes, Grian was comfortably dozing away in the other's arms as they wrapped around him. Scar was also very close to drifting off, shifting his grip on the smaller man before laying them both on the sandy ground. If their backs ached when they woke up, then oh well. They were both tired. The back aches were a problem for future Grian and Scar to worry about. He hugged Grian close to his chest before finally nodding off.

——————————————————————————

Grian sat atop the hill. The hill that he had sat upon so many times, laughing and smiling, and singing and crying, dancing and playing and hurting and bleeding and training and sleeping and cleaning and cooking, all with the man next to him. The man who was gone.

The incessant calling of the ghosts was gone as well, perhaps they were finally at peace now that they had acquired their victor. Grian didn't feel like much of a victor at all. He had lost everything.

Scar's body lay in Grian's lap, Grian stroking his hair mindlessly, as if that would bring him back to life. He had died there, in his lap, smiling up at Grian like he would smile at the sun. Grian had been lost for words, couldn't understand why.

It was his fault that the light had faded from his dull eyes, once so vibrant and green. It was his negligence that had sent Scar falling into the ravine. It was Grian, who had caused the creeper to explode, ending his first life oh so long ago. It was all Grian. Scar had done nothing to deserve any of it. And yet, he looked at Grian like he would look at the sun.

Grian stood up, gently moving Scar to the side, delicately, as if he feared that at the lightest touch, he would shatter into a million pieces. He walked over to the chest behind him. There was still some junk littering it. He grabbed a set of stone tools and some sand. As if there wasn't enough sand on the mountain already.

He closed the chest and walked over to the grave that he and Scar had built for Pizza. Every morning since her death, Scar had gone out there and placed flowers there for her. Grian picked up the wilted cornflower from several days previous, and put it in his inventory. It had been a while since they had been on the mountain, and they hadn't had time for small things like this before they fought. There had been no time to place a fresh flower.

He dug a hole next to Pizza, picking up and gently laying Scar's body inside. He covered it up with grass. Maybe one day, the grass could spread, covering the entire desert in trees and flowers. Maybe. He sat by the grave for a while, crying and holding himself in a ball. His wings wrapped around himself mimicked the grounding embrace that Grian had always been calmed by. It was a terrible copy of the real thing. He wouldn't ever get to feel that embrace again.

He debated digging up the mound that he had just built, he deliberated cradling Scar's lifeless body in his arms, screaming to the gods, pleading with them to just bring him back. In his heart though, he knew there was nothing he could do. He was helpless.

He stood up, walking back to his previous seat, on the edge of the cliff. A spot he had sat in so many times prior. He ignored the dried blood that stained the sand. He looked away from the desert that was littered with holes where numerous explosions had decimated the landscape. He overlooked the burned remains of Dogwarts. He glanced past the ruins of the Crastle. He didn't notice the small field of flowers, possibly the only place in the server untouched by war. He didn't see any of it.

Instead, Grian focused all his attention on the way the sun looked, falling behind mountains far beyond the blue of the world border. He focused all his energy into remembering a happier time when things were better. When a clock didn't mean death. When helmets didn't cause slaughter. When an enchanting table was just a thing of legends, not of war. A time when there was just a group of friends being happy and tormenting a village.

Grian didn't feel himself slide off the edge. He didn't recognize that he was falling. He didn't register the crumbling of the pieces of sand that went with him. He didn't open his eyes to watch the ground close in. All that he knew, all that he let himself know, was that he was tired.

A final chat message appeared. One that no one would ever read.

Grian hit the ground too hard.

A/N:

Hey. Sup. Idk-

Anyways- this was my first attempt at a oneshot, it took a surprisingly little amount of time to write, clocking in at like only an hour and a half, which I find ridiculous. ANYWAYS. I tried to make it sad, not really sure if I succeeded? Oh well. Tell me if you want more, or a certain idea. I'll try to pull something together. Probably. Maybe.

Anyways, bye.

6/07/23 edit:

HI! um. yea no barely any changes this chapter. really only some continuity errors and a few grammer mistakes. 

ty for reading!