Rejection

PearlescentMoon dug around in her bag, sifting through all the random items and materials that they had gathered. Several brewing stands, blaze rods, glowstone dust, glistening melon, they had the lot.

"D'ya think potions would even work in this world? Is this stuff even usable? Should we just find people and try to sell the junk to them?" She pulled out one of the ender pearls and glared at it for a moment before shoving it back in her bag.

Martyn Littlewood shrugged. "Nah, it might be bad if they realise that we were scamming them. Who knows, maybe this stuff will have a purpose eventually."

"Yeah, that makes sense."

As they walked, Martyn told her about his epic game show- plan- experiment? THINGYMAJIGGY. Nailed it. You know what, it doesn't matter, the point is, was that he was going to apparently set up some sort of test- game- fucking- whatever. Whenever a person would walk by, Martyn would be able to do a simple test to see whether they were his or Pearl's soulmate. It didn't sound very simple.

She was about to tell him all about how terrible of an idea it was, when a small, grey, fluffy thing ran into her, pushing her to the ground.

A wolf. She loved dogs, smiling and reaching down to pet the little thing. It bristled at her touch however, and growled a little. "Uhhh, dogs like bones, right?" Martyn seemed nervous of the animal, as if it were rabid and feral. Should she have been more afraid? She nodded slowly, careful not to make any sudden moves.

"Here." Martyn thrusted a bundle of bones at her and she carefully caught them. They had probably come from all the wither skeletons that the duo had slaughtered. Where did Wither effect actually come from? Was it the skeletons themselves? Were they just infused with the effect? What was the difference between normal skeletons and wither skeletons? Were the bones themselves infused with the effect? Was she about to feed a dog a potentially dangerous item? Would the dog gain the effect by chewing on the bone?

She lay several of the bones on the ground for the dog to munch on, and it devoured them in record time, lickng her face a few times afterwards in thanks.

"Awww," Marytn cooed, "It likes you!"

Pearl grinned. She ruffled the dog's fur, wrapping a thin piece of red leather around her neck as a makeshift collar. "Nice to meet you, li'l Tilly!"

"Tilly?" Martyn questioned.

"Yeah," Pearl responded, "I think Tilly suits the little darling, don't you?"

Marytn nodded, bowing deeply. "It's lovely to make your acquaintance, Tilly!"

Pearl grinned, Martyn laughed and Tilly barked. And they set off again, two become three.

Despite Pearl's insistent protests, Martyn set up his odd netherrack box in the middle of the woods, somewhere near spawn. Pearl sat on a tree stump and watched as he created what looked like zombie bile straight from an ungodly place. She picked at her nails, getting rid of the enderman gunk from underneath them. Tilly lay down beside the log, soaking up sunlight.

"Listen, Cleo. You ha-"

What was that? Tilly's ears twitched, and Pearl tilted her head to the side, listening carefully to the sounds echoing through the trees.

"I just don't think that they-"

Pearl jumped up and poked Martyn in the shoulder to get him to stop building for a moment. "Pearl, wha-?" She put a finger on his lips to get him to stop talking, and then removed her hand to gesture to behind them, where the noises were coming from. He noticed them too, perking up instantly, quickly finishing the build. He took a deep breath and adjusted his clothing to look more professional. "Alright, I'm going to go get our first customers. Wish me luck!"