17 - Someone Like You

"It's stupid," Jake said as he wiped his tears and Soo Yun let out a chuckle. 

"Why are you crying then?" She tilted her head, glancing at him. "Are you sad?"

"No, but why would they make it have such an ending?" He looked away, too embarrassed. "I hate sad movies, I thought it was just another romance movie with a happy ending."

"I love sad movies." She sighed, staring dreamingly at her hands. "I also want to dance in the middle of the night, just like they did."

"Really?" He muttered and it seemed like he was thinking for a while. "Do you wanna dance with me?"

Her eyes slightly widened as she smiled widely at him. "Right now?"

"Right now." He smiled. "It's dark, I doubt anyone would be outside so let's recreate that scene and make your dream come true." 

"Sure." She chuckled.

With that, he gently grabbed her hand and pulled her outside, the moonlight and the streetlights shining on them. "Come here." He said, pulling her into the middle of the street. "Put a hand on my shoulder."

"Like this?" She asked.

"Yes. Like this." He said. "We need some music." With that, he took out his AirPods put one in her ear and the other in his. And before she knew it, the song I'll Be Seeing You started playing.

"This is perfect." Her eyes sparkled when he grabbed her other hand and the two started slow dancing. "I love it, it's even better than in the movie."

"Is it?" He smiled as he twirled her. "You're good at slow dancing."

"I've been dancing with my imaginary boyfriend for quite a long time in my living room." She said and he laughed. 

"I can imagine that." The two of them were still dancing as they listened to the beautiful words of the song.

I'll be seeing you,

In all the old familiar places, 

That this heart of mine embraces, 

All day through.

"I'm glad I met you, Jake." She smiled softly. "I really am."

I never thought I'd ever meet someone like you, he wanted to say but it came out as "Me too."

She was looking at him and he was looking at her and they were thinking the same thing, you could tell they loved one another yet they stared at each other and waited and neither of them said a word, just waiting for the other to say something first.

And that was how love got lost in translation.

"Look at this," Soo Yun muttered as she stared at their hands. "They fit perfectly together."

"They indeed do," Jake said, a little smile finding its way to her lips.

She was in his arms and all the world was gone. The music was playing on for them only, so close together. And Jake felt so close to reaching that famous happy ending. Jake repeated the song for who-knows-what just to keep dancing with her, but eventually, it came to a stop as they slowly pulled away from each other.

"I'll seriously never forget this moment. It's going to be a core memory." She said as she stared at the stars in the dark blue sky.

"The Notebook wasn't stupid after all," Jake muttered.

"Trust me, it isn't." She shook her head and sighed in relief. "Today was amazing."

"It's not going to be the last one." He said, making her chuckle. "Let's have days like these from now on."

"I'm in! I'll really just close the shop and run to you because believe me, I haven't been happier." Her soft smile made Jake's eyes soften.

I'll run to you. That was nice to hear.

"I'm glad to hear that." He said and turned. "Let's go back inside, it's getting cold out here."

Soo Yun nodded and followed him inside, fingers fidgeting as he turned to her. "What's wrong?"

"I... I'd like to see the design you were talking about earlier." She said and Jake stopped in his tracks, a hand resting on the back of his neck. Soo Yun realized he often did that whenever he was nervous.

"I..."

"Why? Can't I see it?" She smiled mischievously as she bumped his shoulder.

"No, it's not like that. In fact, I'd like to show it to you." He muttered, embarrassed. "I just hope you like it."

"Of course, I'll like it! You know, I have one of your earrings." She grinned.

"Really? Which one?"

"The water drop one, with little daisies on top." Jake's eyes widened at her words before he broke into laughter.

"Of course, the one with flowers. You're indeed a florist." He smiled and her cheeks slightly reddened in embarrassment. "Now that I recall it, Sunghoon got them for you, right?"

"Right." She felt happy that he remembered. "I saw them online and really loved them. But now that I think about it, Sunghoon never told me you own Aurora & Co. He's such a traitor."

"Yeah, the fact that we didn't have any idea about each other is funny." He shrugged. "I'll get the drawing of the design." With that, Jake walked inside his room as she just stared at him.

"If only we met a few years ago..." She muttered under her nose. "We deserved what we have long before now."

"Uhm, here you go." Walking out of his room, Jake held a notebook in his hands as Soo Yun sat on the couch. 

"Let me see." She said, putting some strands of hair behind her ears. And as she stared at the design on the paper, she felt her heart beat faster.

"Do you like it?" Jake asked, waiting impatiently for her feedback.

"It's a lotus." She said, still staring at it. 

"Yes."

"My name means a lotus flower; Soo Yun." She muttered as she glanced at him and he nodded with a smile.

"I know. I'm making this necklace for you."

His words made her heart skip a beat. "For me?" She let out.

"Of course, it's for you. You're the only Soo Yun I know." He whispered the last part and her eyes softened.

"Jake..."

"Soo Yun, I think..." He said, frowning as she stared at his design. "Since you've been around I smile a lot more than I used to. I think of you a lot and I just want to see you smile. I'm not an aggressive person, but I feel like I would rip apart anyone who touches you or even thinks of hurting you, and that scares me."

Soo Yun stared at him as he glanced at her, her heart about to explode out of her chest.

"I don't know what that is, but you make me want to knock down all the walls I've put up and let you inside."