26 - So This Is Love

"Take care of my sister for me," Sunghoon said as he stared at the two and Areum chuckled. They were about to fly to Thailand for their honeymoon. "Take care of your boyfriend too."

Soo Yun smiled, intertwining her hand with Jake's. "Enjoy your trip."

"I'll see you soon, little sister." Areum gave her a tight hug before she waved them goodbye and the two of them were off to go.

"See you!"

Hand in hand, they walked out of the Airport as she let out a sigh. "What's on your mind?" Jake asked, turning her to him as he massaged the little place between her eyebrows. "You're frowning."

"I'm gonna miss them." She smiled bitterly. "But it's fine, they're out there to have fun."

"We're going to have so much fun too, together. Brace yourself." He smiled happily. The boy was whipped.

"I'm sure we will." Soo Yun laughed and squeezed his hand. "It's Saturday, what do you plan on doing today?"

"Actually..." He stopped when he thought of something. "Do you want to go see Layla?"

Soo Yun raised an eyebrow as she tilted her head, knowing exactly what he meant. She was afraid of meeting his father. What if he didn't like her? What if he liked Nabi more? What if-

"It's gonna be okay, I promise," Jake said as he opened the door for her and helped her out of the car. They were standing out of his father's house as she fidgeted with her fingers. "My father isn't intimidating at all, he's quite nice."

"Are you sure? I mean, what if I'm not decent enough for-"

"Not decent enough?" His eyes widened as he cupped her cheeks and stared into her eyes. "You're literally perfect. Look at you, I can't even believe I have you as my girlfriend- I'm worshipping you again."

Soo Yun laughed before she took a deep breath and intertwined her hand with his. "I hope today goes well."

"Trust me, we're gonna have so much fun." He gave her a reassuring smile and rang the doorbell before the door opened, revealing an old man who was still so handsome. He almost looked just like Jake.

"Look who's here." Mr. Sim greeted his son with a hug. He had missed him a lot. "How have you been? Why didn't you visit sooner-" His gaze shifted from Jake to the girl standing next to him.

"Hello, sir." She smiled and bowed politely.

"Father, she's my girlfriend," Jake said and Soo Yun quite liked it. "Park Soo Yun."

Jake's father stared at her for a while before he slowly grabbed both her hands and smiled at her. "Nice to meet you, Soo Yun. Welcome."

All the stress and nervousness washed away as she smiled back at him, and then the two walked inside as Soo Yu handed him the bouquet of flowers she had made for him. "I hope you like it, Mr. Sim."

"Oh god, these are so beautiful." He said as he grabbed it. "Just like you."

Soo Yun's cheeks slightly reddened as she smiled and thanked him. "She's so beautiful, right?" Jake asked playfully and his father nodded.

"I can't believe I have such a beautiful daughter-in-law now." His words warmed her heart. "Come and sit down, I cooked lunch for you."

Soo Yun glanced over at Jake and smiled when his eyes widened in excitement. It had been a while since he felt happy in his father's house. He didn't feel awkward or sad anymore.

"Did you cook all of this alone, Mr. Sim?" She asked when Jake's father put down the plates of food.

"Yes. And stop calling me Mr. Sim, just call me father." He said and she was taken off guard for a moment before she felt herself breaking into a smile.

"Alright... father." She muttered and he chuckled.

"That's right. Now let's dig in." He said but Jake frowned as if remembering something.

"Wait, where is Layla?" He asked, putting down his chopsticks.

"Ah, Mrs. Kang took her out for a walk." He said as he ate. "She's the new maid. You know, I need someone to help me out in taking care of the house. I'm too old to do it alone."

"Layla likes her?" Jake asked and Soo Yun glanced at him as she ate. "I mean, if she lets her take her out then she's probably comfortable with her. That's a relief."

"She misses you a lot. Every time I get home, she thinks it's you." That made Jake feel sad. He missed her a lot.

During lunch, the three of them talked about Jake's work, her flower shop, and their relationship. Jake's father asked about her family and then wished he didn't, but Soo Yun knew that he had the right to know things about his son's girlfriend.

They almost looked like a family, Mr. Sim kept putting food on her plate and Jake had a really good time. The two of them loved Soo Yun a lot, she was so genuine and sweet that Jake couldn't really believe that she was indeed there, talking and having fun with his father.

He stared at her, thinking that it almost looked like she was his wife. That was such a nice thought and it made him smile like an idiot as he enjoyed his father's food.

And a few minutes later, Soo Yun and Jake were sitting on the grass in the middle of the back garden as the gentle breeze played with their hair.

"Your father is very kind." She said, intertwining her hand with his as she rested her head on his shoulder. "It seems like he liked me so that's a relief."

"Who wouldn't like you, Soo Yun?" He asked and ruffled her hair.

"Remember when you said you wouldn't like me?" She sat up and folded her arms over her chest.

"That was-" He started but soon fell into silence. "I was just trying to deny my feelings for you. You made me feel butterflies and stuff and I wasn't ready for it all."

"So you liked me then." Soo Yun smiled.

"You were too kind and pretty for me to not like you. I was-" Jake spoke but the barks coming from inside the house made him stop. And before he knew it, a cream border collie jumped on top of him, licking his face non-stop.

"Layla!" Jake exclaimed as he lay on the grass and hugged his dog. "I missed you!"

Soo Yun's eyes were wide open and her smile was as wide as ever, she was so excited and happy. The two of them seemed to always belong together, and the thought of young Jake playing with his dog crossed her mind.

"Layla, look here." Jake sat up as he grabbed Soo Yun's hand. "She's my girlfriend."

"Hello." Soo Yun said as Layla sniffed her, slowly getting closer to her. "She's so cute!"

The two of them lay on the grass as Layla lay in the middle. Soo Yun was petting her when Jake rested his hand on top of hers, staring at the blue sky above them. "This feels like the peak of my existence, laying with the woman I'm so in love with and my dear Layla."

"I've never thought that one day I'll be this happy too." She muttered, eyes glistening. "No one had ever asked me to be their date back in high school, not even once. And the guy who I thought was in love with me turned out to be the biggest asshole ever." She sighed, the smile still on her face. "Then I met you."

Jake pulled her closer as she rested her head on his chest and Layla was now resting her head on Soo Yun's lap. The three of them just fit together.

"You're not the type of girl to date, Soo Yun." He muttered, his hand playing with her fingers. "Guys might have not asked you out because you're too precious to be just a girlfriend, because you're someone people cannot lose. You're someone to marry."

His words left her stunned and taken aback, but then she relaxed in his hold and smiled. "Do you want to marry me?"

Jake smiled, closing his eyes as the two of them bathed in sunlight.

"I do."