8. One Afternoon in Time: Dae Eun

Dae Eun was alerted by the guard at the main gate that they were headed up. She had been nervous all morning, all night in fact. She had barely slept and her face showed it. She didn't wear make-up since it irritated her face. She kept telling herself not to worry, that it would all be over in a few hours anyway. She would just apologise for all the trouble her Auntie Jung-sook had caused and send him happily on his way. She was convinced that he really wouldn't have come, but since her mom's friend was the wife of the former South Korean President, he may not have been able to decline.

She was dressed casually, as she would any other day when she wouldn't go out to the farm, because she didn't want to make a fuss. This was how she looked, and maybe he would realise that they were not a match at all. There wasn't a glamorous inch in her body. She was born and bred on a farm and spent her days mostly with their farmers and her family.

Dae Eun took a deep breath and headed out the front door when she heard their vehicle park at the driveway. She was determined to be brave and cheerful, but the first sight of him took her breath away. June was right, he was not of this world. She barely managed to smile and say hello when they approached.

"Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Kim Taehyung. These are my friends, Se-jun hyung and Do-Hyun hyung. These are from my mom." Taehyung handed her the boxes of pastries.

Dae Eun bowed slightly to greet each of them, took the boxes and ushered them into the house. "Please have a seat, you traveled so far." She led them to her small living room. Looking down, she suddenly realised that they had taken off their shoes as was the Korean custom. She hurriedly asked their helpers to bring them slippers. They always had new ones reserved for guests. In a short while they came back with the slippers and with some refreshments.

Dae Eun sat in the armchair opposite them and wondered how to start a conversation.

"You're so handsome." Oh dear god, what did she just say? She suddenly felt her face get hot.

Taehyung broke into a shy smile and covered his face with his hands, and his two companions laughed too.

"I'm sorry," Dae Eun couldn't help but laugh at herself. She might as well enjoy this moment, and she had promised herself that she would be honest anyway. "I'm sure everybody you meet tells you this."

"Not usually, no." Taehyung smiled at her openness and lack of pretense. "But you're the first to tell me so directly."

"I'm sorry. You came so far, and I know you must have a busy schedule. Did my Aunt Jung-sook put you up to this? I'm really sorry about that, but I will make this visit worth your while, I promise. Please have some," she pointed to the snacks they had prepared. "After this let me take you on a tour of our farm. It's harvest season." She knew she was babbling but couldn't help herself.

"Thank you," Taehyung replied and motioned for them to eat. This was off to an awkward start, but they were strangers in a strange setting after all. He saw that they had prepared fresh strawberries and cool tea for them, aside from an assortment of bite-sized sandwiches and breads which he could smell were freshly-baked. They were all good, and his two hyungs were happy.

"You're by yourself here?" Taehyung asked. He wondered where her family was.

"Oh, they're in the other house. You must have passed it on the way over. It's where my Appa lives. He uses it mainly to hold office and entertain clients. He has many guests today, coming from Bulgaria. They're interested in our ginseng."

"I see. That's very impressive. He must be very busy."

"Always, that's why I moved out of there to here. This is our grandparents' house and feels more like home." She watched him take a look around the ancient structure mixed with modern additions.