34. A Cord of Three

Dae Eun went back to Geumsan with Sunhee and Baek-Hyeon after Christmas Day and immediately dropped in on her appa. Her dad's house was handsomely decorated for Christmas and there were logs burning in the fireplace as she walked in. The entire house smelled of fresh pine from the giant Christmas tree by the staircase.

"Appa, I'm home! Where are you?" Dae Eun looked for him downstairs and couldn't find him. She really hated this big house and wished her dad would just stay with her.

"Eun-ah!" Her appa shouted from his bedroom upstairs, and in a moment she saw him come down dressed nicely in a warm gray sweater and checkered slacks.

"I got you a present!" Dae Eun gave him a small package containing a navy blue scarf that she bought in Myeongdong. She rarely gave her family expensive gifts, as she reserved those for truly meaningful occasions. She loved the simplicity of their earlier years, when money was hard to come by and they saved for a long time to buy each other simple gifts. She kept those gifts she received years ago and still wore some.

"So, how's Seoul?" Her appa kissed her forehead and led her to the living room where they sat before the fireplace. One of their staff came in to ask what they would like to eat and Dae Eun just asked for hot tea.

"It was cold. We went ice skating, Appa. We should go ice skating sometime."

"And risk falling, no thanks." He couldn't afford to break anything at his age.

"You're right. Let's just take a walk outside for some exercise later?"

"It's cold, Eun-ah."

"But Appa, they tell me you're not using the treadmill at all. This is not good. You need to keep moving, especially in winter." They had installed a gym at the house so they could all get some exercise in between meetings.

"I will. I'll use it today, promise."

Dae Eun took her dad's hand and sealed the promise. She also told their staff who came in with her tea to let her know when he actually got on the treadmill and for how long he stayed on it.

"You're very strict, Dae Eun. How is that boyfriend of yours?"

"He's alright, Appa."

"So, he is your boyfriend, is he?"

Dae Eun simply nodded and hugged him.

"I suppose it's about time. I've been dreaming about your eomma lately. She was scolding me because you're still single."

"Do you miss Eomma?"

"Of course."

"Would you like to get married again, Appa?"

"I am married, Dae Eun. I'm married to your Eomma."

Dae Eun looked at her dad and hugged him closer.

"Aren't you lonely? Wouldn't you rather stay with me instead of this big house?"

"I need to be here for business anyway, Dae Eun. It's easier than going back and forth."

"I want you to be happy, Appa."

"I'm happy, baby. You know how much I enjoy bullying your brothers." They both laughed. He was such a taskmaster and very strict at training his sons who would one day take over the business. "They'll appreciate it someday."

"They need a break too, Appa. You should stop working at Christmas."

"Just until the end of the year, then we'll close the office for two weeks so that everyone can take a break."

"Very good, Appa. Let's take a vacation then." Dae Eun told him about the offer to lease a commercial space in Seoul and asked for his opinion.

"That's a very good opportunity. What would you like to put up there?"