33. Dreams in Winter

Dae Eun had fallen asleep after Taehyung left and was surprised that it was already 2 PM when she opened her eyes. She couldn't believe what had happened in the last few hours. All her worries and fears had disappeared when her oppa returned, and his presence healed every pain she had felt in the past two months. She actually felt the happiest she had ever been in her whole life. Being with him at Christmas, it seemed unbelievable. She ran over the picture of him in her mind again, so breathtakingly handsome even when he looked tired and haggard. And to finally hold him after so long, and kiss him, she felt her heart tremble. Did it really happen to her? A nobody from far away Geumsan. A farmer-girl who knew nothing of the sophistication of his world. She never dreamed something so wonderful could happen to her, yet here it was.

And he brought more than himself to her life. He opened so many doors for her. His friends were actually promoting their company by word of mouth. Their website was getting so many hits, and orders and expressions of interest were flooding their e-mail. She knew she needed to hire more staff soon, since Baek-Hyeon and Sunhee were only helping her part-time. At the rate they were going, she was also considering renting a bigger van for the delivery of their produce. She just needed to assess first if this surge in orders was just a seasonal thing. She also wanted to maintain their personal touch in making the deliveries, since it put them into direct contact with their clients. Sunhee enjoyed having small conversations with some of the most handsome and beautiful people she had ever seen in Seoul, and they were very kind too. Dae Eun wanted their company to take good care of their customers.

And the beginnings of another dream was also growing this winter. The owner of the cafe at Songpa-gu that they had been supplying jams to asked her if she wanted to take over their spot. It was a relatively small establishment, very cozy and inviting, but they couldn't seem to compete with the designer coffee shop at the corner of their street. They were losing business and were thinking of closing down soon. If she wanted their location, they said they would favourably endorse her to the owner so she could rent the place and put her own shop there. Oh to think that she could open a farm-to-table restaurant, the idea was so exciting to her - the menu they could offer, the dessert bar, and even an ice cream bar. It was a big decision to make and she wasn't sure if she was capable of it. She would have to discuss it with her family, and with Taehyung.

There were just so many things to be thankful for this Christmas. Her heart was full. And then she read Taehyung's message, telling her he loved her in French, inviting her to be with him in Paris next year. She couldn't contain her joy and she felt she needed to go out and take a walk or she would burst. She had indeed thought of going to Paris next year, because the 2034 UN Food Systems Summit would be held there in September, and their family was usually included in the South Korean contingent of government officials, farmers, and youth representatives. It felt like all things were falling into place.

Dae Eun got out of bed and took a warm shower to help wash away all the excitement she had in her heart. When she stepped out of her room, she found Sunhee and Baek-Hyeon eating at the small dining table.

"Oh, Eonni, you're finally awake! Can we go around Seoul?" Sunhee found the city exciting and always wanted to discover new places.

"Sure! Have you two slept well?"

"Yes, Noona. This apartment is nice and warm." Baek-Hyeon had taken one of the three rooms and he had rested comfortably. It was a good thing that Dae Eun-ssi had woken up in the afternoon. He would have been embarrassed if she caught him waking up close to noon. Driving and hauling the heavy boxes to be delivered had been tiring, but Dae Eun-ssi always took care of him and Sunhee by allowing them a lot of time to rest and feeding them well. She also paid them generously and he was saving a lot for his tuition for college.

"Where would you like to go?"

"Can we go ice skating?" Sunhee really wanted to try it. "And can we go shopping at Myeongdong, too? I'd like to bring home some presents tomorrow."

"Okay!" Even Dae Eun was excited. She hadn't gone ice skating in years, and she also wanted to get her family presents. She wondered what she could get for her Taehyung-oppa, when he already had everything. Maybe something to keep him warm.

They went to the Seoul Plaza Ice Skating Rink and had a blast. Dae Eun realized that, although they seemed to be fighting most of the time, Baek-Hyeon was very protective of Sunhee and she seemed very happy around him. They made her wish she was with her oppa too.

When they were too cold already, they headed to the underground shops in Myeongdong and bought gifts

When they were too cold already, they headed to the underground shops in Myeongdong and bought gifts. Both Baek-Hyeon and Sunhee chose carefully, not wanting to spend too much of their hard-earned money. Dae Eun bought mostly cute socks and scarves for her family, for Nana, their housekeepers and staff. But when it came to Taehyung, she wasn't sure what to get him. When they were done, she asked the two if they could go with her to church. She felt an overwhelming need to just open her heart to God and thank Him for everything He was giving her.

They got to the cathedral in Myeongdong just before sunset and prayed. She thanked God for all the good things that were happening in her life and in their farm business. She prayed for her Appa, her brothers and their family, for Baek-Hyeon and Sunhee, for Nana and all their staff and workers, for the dreams that were in her heart, and finally for her Taehyung. She asked that He always keep him safe and healthy, and to grant him the desires of his heart. She asked for help to find him the perfect gift this Christmas and for his birthday on the 30th. She asked that God would give him a very long and happy life.

When they came out of the cathedral it was already dark and the lights outside were beautiful. Sunhee started taking pictures, as everyone was doing on the path down the many steps to the road. More than ever, Dae Eun wished that Taehyung was with her. Maybe this was how it was going to be from now on. She wouldn't feel complete if he wasn't by her side. She wondered if he also felt the same way. She wanted to hear his voice telling her again that he loved her, because it was hard to believe that this beautiful, kind and gentle man was hers.