III

~Spencer Reid~

When Spencer Reid had gotten that first call from Orion, he'd hurried to a small empty room in the precinct for privacy. Trying not to speak too loudly in case one of his more nosey coworkers tried to eavesdrop on him.

He was met with an expectant Derek Morgan when he opened the door afterwards. 

Morgan would not let him out of the room until he explained what that phone call was about. So Spencer was forced to tell him about the beautiful swordsmith he'd met. Once he knew, it was only a matter of time before the rest of the team knew too.

At least it was only because Morgan was proud of and excited for his friend and coworker.

The team had poked and prodded Spencer with questions about his new lady friend, but he remained tight lipped on the matter. There wasn't much to tell anyway. Not yet.

The case had taken five days to finish. They'd gotten back to Quantico in the late afternoon. Surprisingly, Spencer was taking his time in filling out the stack of paperwork on his desk. Patiently waiting until most of the team had gone home.

Now that he wouldn't have people looking over his shoulder, Spencer could begin hunting for Orion's home address.

"Where do I start?" Spencer muttered to himself as he pulled up an advanced form of a search engine.

He could just search up female swordsmiths in the DC area, but that seemed too simple. Spencer wanted to earn that date. So he chose the longer route.

Orion had mentioned apprenticing under a master swordsmith called Goro Yamada. So, he would search for her mentor and find her through him.

Only there wasn't a Goro Yamada swordsmith in DC, or even the US for that matter.

That only stalled Spencer for a moment before he remembered something else. Orion had muttered something in another language when that jerk had been bothering her. That language had been Japanese.

Spencer was embarrassed to admit he'd been trying to learn Japanese during any free time he could find while on this last case. He wanted to impress her, though he didn't know why.

That was besides the point. Orion spoke Japanese and Goro Yamada was a Japanese name. It wasn't too far-fetched to think her apprenticeship had not been in the US. So, Spencer searched for Goro Yamada in a Japanese setting and managed to find the master swordsmith.

Digging a bit deeper into the man using skills Garcia had forced him to learn almost two years ago when he'd asked her how to set up an email account and she decided to give him a crash course on everything technology. Eventually he found information on the people Yamada had apprenticed. A list of names, most of which were East Asian. But one was what he was looking for.

Orion Genevieve Elspeth Montgomery.

Spencer was a bit surprised by the not one, but two middle names. Shrugging, he cleared all the information on Yamada from his screen. Typing in the full name of the woman he was searching for.

Cursing his eidetic memory for instantly memorizing every bit of information he skimmed over in her file while looking for Orion's address. Spencer would have rather learned all these things from the woman herself. Even if this did give him a tiny bit of an insight on what she might enjoy for a date.

"Reid, what are you still doing here?" Spencer whipped around to find his boss standing at the edge of his desk, giving him a stern look.

"Hotch, hey, umm..." Spencer trailed off, not sure what excuse to use for being at the office so late. He normally left around the same time as the others.