X

~Orion Montgomery~

It had been two days since Spencer had been called away on a case during their date at the library. Orion Montgomery had been working on putting together her mosaic damascus billet. She'd only finished the mandala-like pattern that morning, having gone right to cutting the bar into plates to set up in her blade billet.

Tack welding them in place before welding pieces of sheet metal around it as a sort of extra safety net, that would also prevent scale from forming where she didn't want it. After forge welding it all together and forming the billet to the proper shape under the power hamer, Orion moved to the grinder. Removing the layer of sheet metal and refining the blade shape.

It was getting later in the evening, but she wanted to do a test etch before packing up for the day. After all, that would tell her whether or not she needed to start over. Mosaic damascus was to be incredibly precise. If the mosaic pattern had skewed, it would be of no use to her for the Blade Show.

She hadn't even noticed that Marlow had slipped out of the workshop, being so focused on cleaning up the blade for the test etch.

Orion did notice, however, when she felt someone tap her on the shoulder as she pulled the blade away from the grinder belt. Tugging her earphones down off her ears, she turned to Marlow with a questioning look. Confused by the smug smirk on his face.

"You need something, Marlow?" Orion asked him.

"I don't, but I'm pretty sure there's someone over there who might." He grinned and nodded to where the door to the workshop was behind her.

Orion's brow furrowed as she slowly turned. "Spencer?!" Her eyes went wide as they landed on the young genius standing nervously at the door.

He gave her a bright smile. "Hey, Orion."

She quickly turned off the grinder and set the blade down, moving over to Spencer in quick steps. Still shocked that he was even here. "What are you doing here, SSA Dr. Spencer Reid PHD?" A breathy laugh escaped her lips.

Spencer bit his lip, shrugged, and looked down at the large wicker basket in his hands that Orion hadn't even noticed. "I wanted to surprise you, and apologize for having to leave in the middle of our last date."

Orion shook her head slightly as she came to stand a few feet in front of him. "You don't have to apologize for that. You warned me about it on our first date, I knew it would happen eventually and it's okay. Saving innocent lives and catching criminals is important."

"Doesn't mean I don't feel bad about it. So, I got this for you." Spencer held out the wicker basket for her. Inside was a large bouquet of Orion's favorite flowers, a box set of ice cream mochi, a bottle of Umeshu, and the three Lord of The Rings DVDs.

"I, I don't know what to say..." Orion trailed off as she accepted the basket, smiling when she felt Spencer's fingers brush against hers despite the fact that they definitely weren't clean.

"You say thank you and invite him to stay for dinner!" Marlow hollered across the workshop. Obviously having been eavesdropping.

Large smiles broke out across their faces as they laughed. "Marlow, mind your own business! You have Adalyn coming over tonight!" Orion reminded him.

"And Adalyn will be fine with a double date! You guys stay for dinner and we can watch those movies the Doc brought." Marlow huffed as he carefully slid Orion's blade into the fluid filled pipe for the test etch.

"Wait, how do you know about the movies?" Orion frowned, turning to look back at Spencer. "Also, how did you find the workshop? Have you two been conspiring?"