[11] Road to Recovery

It had been a month since the battle of Sokovia. One month since Ivan was nearly killed.

After have a bullet land so close next to his heart, Ivan was sent into a coma and has yet to awaken.

Over the month the avengers had moved I got the new compound they all would be staying at, with the exception of Barton and Thor.

Ivan was moved to the medical wing of the compound and Eva was by his side the whole time, only ever leaving his side to shower and change, she rarely ate and when she did it was because either Natasha, Pietro or Wanda had forced her to.

Eva's eyes were constantly puffy due to crying. Only a month ago she was ready to just let herself die as Sokovia plummeted to the ground, she didn't want to live in a world without her brother, he was the only biological family she had left, she wouldn't have survived without him.

"You should really get out and get some air." An accented voice came from behind her. She was sitting on a chair next to her brothers hospital bed.

"There's air in here." She replied simply, not wanting to leave her brother unless it was absolutely necessary.

Pietro chuckled at her response. "I mean fresh air."

"I'm not leaving his side."

He sighed before sitting down next to her.

"They said he is going to be fine, they got the bullet out, everybody's just waiting for him to wake up." He said trying to reassure her even though he knows it won't make a difference to her.

"I don't want to come off as rude or anything, but I really think you should go and get a shower and change into clean clothes, I've seen you in those clothes for 3 days now."

"I won't leave him, not again."

"Someone can come keep and eye on him while you're away, you need to take some time to yourself and take care of yourself."

Eva sighed and reluctantly agreed. She did smell bad.

Pietro sighed as he watched Eva walk out of the room.

It had been a month and nearly everything was back to normal, the avengers also had new recruits, but no one could deny that their was a tense atmosphere, one of their teammates is in a coma after fighting for his life to survive as the bullet slowly edged its way towards his heart.

Realising that he sat there for nearly an hour looking over Ivan for Eva, he realised this is the longest she has been away from Ivan's side.

Worrying about her Pietro decides to go look for her, asking a passing nurse if she could look over Ivan till he or Eva came back.

He walks up to Eva's room and knocks on her door hearing a small 'come in' before entering.

Pietro walks in and sees her just sitting on her bed looking numb.

"I know this is a very stupid question and the answer is very obvious, but are you okay?" He questions her.

Eva shakes her head. "No, no I'm not."

Pietro slowly grabs her hand intertwining their fingers.

"You know, this is the longest I've gone without my brother by my side." Eva states as her eyes start to water.

"Even when we had nothing, we always had each other." Her voice breaking towards the end.

"When our parents were murdered, we had to learn how to survive on our own, together, we always had each other back, nobody was better at looking out for us than each other."

"He's all I have." At this point tears are streaming down her face.

"And if I lose him, I don't know what I'll do."

"But you haven't lost him, he's in a coma. He'll wake up. And I know you hate hearing this but we just need to be patient."

"I have been patient. I have been waiting a month for him to wake up, no signs of improvement. How much longer will I have to wait. Another month? A year? Maybe even 10 years." Eva cried as she spoke.

Pietro stood up, lightly grabbing her arm pulling her up with him.

He wrapped his arms around her, one arm around her waist while the other is holding the back of her head gently, Eva crying into his chest.

"Oh god, I'm so tired, I feel like my emotions are drowning me, I don't know how to live like this, without him. God I just want him to wake up."

Pietro held her as she cried. After a few minutes of just holding her, he realised she was becoming extremely tired due to being sleep deprived and not having slept properly in over a month.

He carefully picked her up bridal style before gently laying her down on her bed and putting the cover over her.

"Pietro what are you doing?" Eva mumbled, to tired to speak properly.

"You are extremely sleep deprived princessa, and need to desperately get a good sleep."

Pietro went to walk out of the room to give her, her space and to finally rest, but before he could take a step away from her bed, her hand quickly shot out to grab his.

"Please stay with me. I don't want to be alone right now." She asked.

He nodded before sitting on her bed next to her, she moved over slightly and pat her bed as a sign for him to lay down next to her.

As soon as he lay next to her, she was laying on his chest sound asleep.

He looked down at her with a loving look I his face and brushed away a few stray hairs that were laying across her face. 

Two weeks have gone by after Eva's breakdown and she was sitting by her brothers side like she has been since they got to the compound. 

Since she found out her brother was in a coma she decided that even if he couldn't hear her she would talk to him about things that were going on, hoping that if he could hear her he would be caught up in everything everything that has been happening.

Right now she was taking about the new recruits and how things were going with Pietro.

After her little meltdown and then falling asleep on his chest they had become significantly closer.

She knew that she liked Pietro before the battle of Sokovia and agreed to go on a date with him when it was all over. But over the past month her feelings for him have grown significantly more as he was there for her more than everyone.

Sure every avenger has come see her and her brother in the hospital room multiple times, but Pietro would skip training sessions just to comfort her, to be a shoulder to cry on.

"Oh and also Clint and Laura had the baby. They named him Nathaniel Ivan Barton. Clint thought it only right as you saved his life back in Sokovia."

Eva sighed as she looks at her brother, who lay still. She then looked own at her hands that were on her lap. "God I miss you so much, I've been a wreck without you."

"Good to see you care about me." A voice chuckled.

Eva's head shot up so fast and looked at her brother that was laying awake in his hospital bed.

She immediately jumped up to give him a bone crushing hug. When she pulled away she hit his arm.

"Ow, I don't know if you noticed or not but I am injured and in a hospital bed." Ivan said sarcastically.

"How could you be so reckless."

"Hey I didn't mean to get shot."

She sighed. "God I'm just happy you're okay, and finally awake."

"We'll I'm sorry it took so long, I needed my beauty sleep."

She smiled down at her brother, happy to have him back.