23: My Neighbor

Three days. That was how long Shigaraki had been in U.A's holding cell. 

Tsukauchi had been contacted that day, but vaguely informed of everything until his quirk forced them to tell him the truth. The detective was determined not to take Tomura to Tartarus until he got answers. 

He wanted to know about everything. What All For One's deal really was, what plans were supposed to occur, where the rest of the league was, who Shigaraki really was as a person. Everything. He had been sitting in that holding cell with the villain for three straight days, for at least five hours a day. 

But despite that he had nothing. 

Even now, on the fourth day he was getting nowhere. 

"Can you tell me about your childhood?" He probed. "What was it like? Would you describe it as happy?". The detective looked up from his empty note pad and checked that the recording device was on. 

"Where is my child?" Shigaraki demanded in return. "Who is caring for them?". 

It was the same every time. No questions answered, just asked. And every time it was a similar question, all pertaining to the well being of his child. 

And Tsukauchi wanted to be mad about that. He wanted to be frustrated, he wanted to shout at Shigaraki that this was more important than a toddler, but he had begun to see the reality of the situation in the same way Aizawa and Yamada had. 

The man sitting in front of him was Shigaraki Tomura, All For One's successor. He was also a twenty year old single father who was basically a kid himself. His child had been taken from him in a way many would consider traumatic and all he wanted to know was where they were and if they were okay. 

How could he fault him for that? 

Shigaraki's eyes were red rimmed and puffy from crying and he had barely eaten since his arrest. He was was exhausted. 

Every time he tried to go to sleep, all he could think of was Ichigo. Were they alright? Did they have a nightlight? Did they go to the apartment to get any of their stuffed animals? Ichigo chose a new favorite seemingly every night, often turning into whatever animal it was too. 

And if Ichigo had a nightmare, or woke up in the middle of the night afraid, who were they going to? They couldn't just crawl into Tomura's bed and cuddle him. Who would wipe their tears and tell them their daddy was 'a million times scarier than those big bad monsters'? 

Tomura's fingers clenched the fabric of his pants desperately. 

He was so helpless. Fuck, no one probably even noticed he and Ichigo were missing because Tomura was so fucking antisocial. 

He wanted them to be able to disappear without a trace, and the heroes had done just that. His eyes glistened and the questions of the detective faded into background noise, static on a tv, essentially. 

------------ ------------- ------------ ------------- ------------ --------------- 

Tomura had not been as successful as he thought. 

"We need to get them their stuff." Yamada sighed. Four days into Ichigo's stay with them, and the teachers were realizing just how much stuff a toddler needed. Or really wanted. 

"I want my bunny." Ichigo insisted. Aizawa sighed. He was great with teenagers, even Eri was a breeze but kids this young were uncharted territory. 

"What's wrong with the bunny Zashi gave you?" He tried, gesturing to the cream coloured plushie in the toddler's arms. Ichigo huffed.