32: Magic Trick

"Daddy look!". 

Tomura looked over at Ichigo, who was running down the hall holding a plushie. It wasn't exactly one particular thing, just a blob filled with stuffing with two haphazardly attached googly eyes. 

"I made it with Toshi!" They said excitedly. Tomura smiled at the kid and bent down to scoop them up in his arms. 

"Looks great, baby." He replied. "What is it?". 

"A thing." The toddler said excitedly. "I named it Miso. Like soup.". 

Children's brains sure did work in interesting ways. "Great idea." The man complimented. "Its the best 'thing' I've ever seen.". Ichigo beamed at the compliment. 

"Toshi's good at arts and crafts! Like the teachers at the play place!". 

Ah, that was something Tomura had dreaded being mentioned. The play group, which Ichigo referred to as the 'play place'. 

He didn't really know how to explain that Ichigo wasn't going to go back. 

"Daddy, when can Umi come play?" They asked. 

Tomura sighed heavily. He looked at the two year old in his arms and just felt awful. He felt like a genuinely horrible human being. 

How could he have spent so long following All For One's orders with Ichigo at home? How on earth had he left to go fight high schooler's with Ichigo at home? 

The answer was, he didn't know what he was doing at the time. He didn't know that his actions would lead to Ichigo leaving every support he had put in place for them. 

"We moved very far away, Ichigo." Tomura explained. "I don't think Umi will be able to come over any time soon.". Ichigo frowned. 

"Can't her mommy take her?" They asked. 

Tomura winced internally. "Baby I don't think-". 

"Tomura look! I have created my own 'thing' and one for you as...well...." Toshinori called out, his voice tapering off as he realized this was not the correct moment. "Its uh, blue?". 

In the older man's hand had one yellow plushie blob in one hand and a blue one in the other. 

Despite the Toshinori's expression, Tomura was relieved to see him. "Thank you for the uh..thing.".

"Yeah..." Toshinori replied, looking between the two. 

---------- ------------ ------------ ----------- ----------- ------------ ------------ 

Later that day, the adults were in the kitchen again cooking dinner while Ichigo played in the living room. 

"You're sad again." Toshinori observed. Tomura didn't make eye contact, just concentrated on cutting the onion and not his fingers. 

"I was wondering why it took me so long to learn how to be a good parent." The man explained. Now, All Might definitely thought Ichigo had been with Tomura since birth, but that didn't change his understanding of the situation at large. 

"Its probably because you're a kid yourself." He remarked. Tomura gave him an affronted look. "I don't mean that in a bad way, you just haven't had the time to develop all the skills most people have by the time they have children.". 

Tomura screwed his face into a grimace. "You have to stop comforting me about this. Its no one's fault but my own I failed my child. I didn't want them to grow up isolated, now look at us. In a house in the middle of the woods. We haven't even visited the town yet.". 

Toshinori tried to cheer Tomura up after that, saying they could always go the next day and that there was a market running that day anyways, and that did help a little.