31: Late Autumn

Never in his life did Tsukauchi Naomasa think he would be in this position. 

By the way, the situation in question was bringing a pot of soup to a table where two villains were seated. The exact villains he had been tracking down for months. 

He remembered being so mad at the league, for all the destruction and unrest they caused. He spent many a night investigating them and promising himself all sorts of things when he got his hands on one of the members. 

But somehow he ended up making ginseng soup because he was worried that winter was starting and they had been alone in the cold for so long. 

"Be careful." He said as he set the pot down on the table, "Its very hot. I've already taken the chicken off the bone, so just ladle it into your bowl as you like.". 

Toga smelled the air and brightened up immediately. "Its smells great." She complimented with a smile. "Its been a while since we've had home cooked food, huh?". The comment was directed at Dabi, who agreed with a quick nod. 

"Not since we last visited Ichigo and Shigaraki. When we had waffles.". 

If he couldn't hear the sincerity in their voices, he would assume they were trying to namedrop the man as much as possible to garner more sympathy, but they just seemed genuinely excited. 

"Thank you so much. I-I know we kinda held you at knife point, but you didn't have to do this for us. We'll leave, if you ask." Dabi said, staring straight at the detective with an honest expression. 

Tsukauchi sat down and smiled wearily. "If I wanted to, you two would be long gone by now." He assured them. 

Dabi had been telling the truth, so was Toga when she mentioned their last home cooked meal. Their intentions were honest, they just wanted to see Ichigo, make sure they were safe. 

After the emotional roller-coaster that was Shigaraki Tomura's case, his moral compass was all out of wack, but it was granting him a whole new perspective on villains as a whole. 

"So, did you two live at the league headquarters?" He asked, "Oh, and you can go ahead and serve yourselves. You don't have to wait for me.". 

"Sweet!" Toga grinned, fangs and bright eyes on display. She ladled some hot soup into her bowl, making sure to get some meat in there, before thanking the detective profusely. 

"We did." Dabi confirmed. "You can probably guess how that went after Shigaraki disappeared. Nothing was safe anymore so we had to ditch it and start over again. Nothing strange when you're like us, but I wasn't letting the damn kid do it on her own, so we stuck together.". 

Tsukauchi looked over at Toga again, wondering just how old she was, and if it was rude to ask. 

"You said you promised Shigaraki something?" He asked instead. Dabi nodded, but Toga answered. 

"We had to pinky promise him that if something happened we'd take care of Ichigo for him. Didn't want the kid growing up in a random foster family." She explained. "And that's how we ran into you! You are gonna show us where the kiddo is, right?". 

"I'll see what I can do.". The detective had half a mind to smack himself. Did he seriously just say that to wanted criminals? 

He had been against giving Tomura contact with his own child at the beginning of this, now he was willing to give these two contact with that same child? 

Granted, Shigaraki turned out to be a great parent, but that was beside the point. It was still a risk he would never have taken before. 

"Do you have to see Ichigo if I can confirm they're still with Shigaraki?" He probed.