Chapter Twenty-Five: Yet Another Mystery

Ava and Steve drove back to school after changing at home. Steve wearing a light grey polo shirt with jeans, and Ava in her cheerleader uniform. Steve brought one of the girls he was talking to, making Ava awkwardly sit in the backseat.

The cheerleaders were cheering and moving their pompoms around. "Let's go Tigers!" The cheerleaders cheered, as well as Ava. They continued repeating that for what seemed like forever.

"Everyone now please rise for our national anthem." The principal said in the microphone, making everyone in the stands stand up. "Singing for us tonight, we have a very special guest. All the way from Nashville, our very own Tammy Thompson!" The principal says, earning cheers from the audience.

"O say, can you see~." Tammy sings, the microphone ringing slightly, "By the dawn's early light." She continues, making Ava hold back a chuckle. Ava looks over and sees Robin and Vickie actually talking for once, making her eyes widen towards Robin, who was too distracted to even look her way.

"Ramparts we watched~." Tammy continued, the microphone ringing more than necessary. "And the rocket's red glare~." She harmonizes, Ava looking up at Steve in the stands, they both make eye contact and Steve mouths, "Someone needs to get her out of here before my ears burst.", making Ava slightly chuckle.

"The bombs bursting in air~. Gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there~." She continued, making Ava wish she was dead right then and there.

Ava glanced over at Lucas, and saw he was looking for Mike and Dustin to be in the stands. The two make eye contact and Ava frowns and gives him an apologetic look.

Finally the game starts, Lucas on the bench as usual while the game was playing. Jason makes a shot, earning cheers from the crowd, as well as the cheerleaders.

Hawkins High was losing by 2 points, everyone shouting defense in the crowd. They make more shots, winning by 1, until Hawkins was winning again.

It kept on going from losing to winning, until Jason called a timeout for something. They were all talking to their coaches, figuring out team plans and strategies, the cheerleaders distracting the audience by cheering and dancing.

Lucas taken off of the bench, making both Ava and Lucas have huge grins on their faces. It was almost time for the game to end. Jason shot the ball, it all felt like it was in slow motion. He ended up missing the shot, but Lucas luckily got the ball before the opposite team.

He ran back further, turning his feet perfectly, and attempted the shot. Lucas made the shot, right before the timer ended, causing the audience, his teammates, and the cheerleaders to cheer and shout in amusement.

Lucas was picked up by his teammates, the audience still shouting. The cheerleaders made their way towards them, jumping and raising their pompoms up and down. Once they let go of Lucas, Ava immediately ran to him and hugged him.

"Holy shit Lucas!" Ava shouts with a wide smile, Lucas having the same. "I'm not gonna be benched anymore after that!" Lucas says happily, the smile not leaving his face once. "Definitely not, you're amazing!" Ava responds.

"Well, at least one person thinks that." Lucas says, the smile leaving his face after he said it. "Just one?" Ava scoffs, "The whole school thinks you're amazing now!" Ava says, trying to cheer him up, but then he saw Mike, Dustin, and all the other DND club members walk out of the building.