Chapter Thirty-Five: Hive Mind

They both made it to the other side of the gate, their backs hitting the floor harshly. Ava gasped for air, Steve grunting as he's trying to free them both. The tentacle soon let go of both of them, the two breathing heavily. "Holy fucking shit." Ava says, coughing.

"Ava, are you alright?" Steve says, inspecting the girl as she's down on the ground. "I'm fine.. just out of breath." Ava says as she sits up, "Are you okay?" Ava asks, Steve nodding. They both looked around at their surroundings, a red flash showing every now and then. "It looks just like where we were.." Ava mumbles, standing up along side with Steve.

They both heard a noise, the two instantly turning their heads. "Shit." Steve mumbles, "What the fuck are those?" Ava says, seeing small bat-like creatures in the distance. "Ava, run." Steve says, taking slow steps back as he stares at the creatures, "Run!" He repeats, the two now running away from the creatures.

Ava notices more coming from the right of her, "Steve, there's more!" Ava says, running. "They're coming from every angle!" Steve says, grabbing a paddle, Ava grabbing the other. Steve smacked one of the creatures, it hitting the floor with a cracking sound. Ava hit one as well, it flying off.

Steve was grabbed by something and hit his back onto the ground roughly. "Steve!" Ava shouts, dropping her paddle and running over to him. "No, Ava, behind you!" Steve mutters, Ava turning her head behind her, the creature pushing her onto her back. The tentacle wraps itself around Steve's neck, while the other wraps around his body.

"S-Steve..!" Ava mumbles, worried for her older brother as a tentacle wraps around her own neck, a bunch of bat-like creatures fly towards the two. Steve struggles and tries swatting the bats away from both of them, it being no use as one of the bats bite into Steve's side, making him groan in pain. Another bites into the other side of Steve's hip, him trying to swat them away.

He screams in pain as the bats bite into his flesh, Ava watching it all happen in fear. A creature soon bites into Ava's leg, making her shriek in pain, but she was too focused on her worry for her brother. Ava scoots to the paddle and tries to take it, but the other side of the creatures tentacle grabs her wrist, slamming it onto the cold floor.

Another creature bites into Ava's hip, making her groan in pain. Soon enough, there were three bats biting into Ava, and two biting into Steve. Both Steve and Ava trying to punch them away, but they just kept coming back for more.

Ava's breathing started to hitch as she felt herself losing more blood. Her eyes wanted to shut so badly, but she couldn't give up. She kept trying to punch the creatures away, but she was slowly losing strength in her body.

"Ava!" She heard a distant voice shout, then soon enough, the creature around her neck was gone, as well as the other three creatures. Ava breathed heavily, unable to open her eyes. "Ava, are you okay?!" She heard, she then felt cold hands touch her face gently, knowing exactly who's they were. "Robin.." Ava mumbles, "Yes, Ava, i'm here! Oh, thank god." Robin says worriedly, gently lifting the girl up to her chest.

"Is.. is Ava okay?" Steve asks worriedly, seeing his sister leaning on Robin's chest. "I think so.." Robin says, gently lifting up Ava's shirt, revealing bloody bite marks. "Um, no, never mind, she is not fine." Robin says worriedly, staring at the younger girls injuries.  "How are her legs?" Steve asks, examining his sister worriedly. "There's.. theres blood showing from her left leg." Robin answers, breathing heavily at the sight.

"Shit. Ava, Ava?" Steve says, cupping Ava's face. Ava slowly opened her eyes, squinting as she looked at her older brother. "You can stand, right?" Steve asks. Even though Ava was unsure, she nodded, not wanting to be a burden. Ava tried standing, even though it felt like her legs would snap at any moment, she maintained posture. "I-I'm okay." Ava mumbles.