Chapter Twenty-Six: Reefer Rick

The three walk out of Dustin's room in a hurry. "Have you talked to anyone else?" Dustin asks, "No, just you and Ava." Max says, trying to keep up with Dustin's pace. "I cant find Lucas, or Nancy, and Mike's in-" Max says before getting cut off by Dustin.

"California. Shit, shit, shit." Dustin mumbles. "Dusty, where are you going?" Dustin's mom asks, "To see a friend." He responds, opening the door and gesturing for Max and Ava to walk out, which they do quickly.

"You heard the news, it's not safe!" His mother says frantically, "We'll be extra careful, thanks, love you, bye." Dustin says, shutting the door.

~~~

The three rode to Steve's job, Ava awkwardly walking in. "Hey, Steve." Dustin says, jogging into the video store. "You see this?" Steve scoffs, pointing to the TV. "How many phones do you have?" Dustin asks, ignoring the boys question.

"Someone was murdered." Steve interjects, referring to Chrissy. "How many phones do you have?" Dustin repeats in a firm tone. "Two. Why?" Steve responds, "Technically three, if you count Keith's." Robin adds. "Yeah, three works." Max speaks up.

"What are you doing?" Steve questions, but Dustin ignores him, and tosses his bag over the desk, knocking over Steve's video tapes, "Woah, what are you doing?!" Steve scoffs, "My pile!" Robin shouts. "No, no, no! My tapes dude!" Steve mumbles.

"What are you doing man?!" Steve scoffs. "Setting up base of operations here." Dustin responds, making Steve absolutely dumbfounded, "I'm sorry, base of operations?" Steve asks, looking at the computer that Dustin was using.

Max was trying to hop over the desk but ended up nearly falling, but was caught by Ava. "Be careful next time.." Ava mumbles, helping Max over the desk. Max nods, "Thank you." She responds a bit coldly and walks over to Dustin.

"Get off." Steve demands, "No, i need it." Dustin responds, "For what?" Steve scoffs. "Eddie's friends' phone numbers." Dustin sighs, "Your new best friend you think is cooler because he plays your nerdy game?" Steve scoffs. "Yes, although i never said that." Dustin responds, "Seriously, you guys, maybe on Monday you can play around, but it's Saturday." Robin says, putting the tapes back where they belong with the help of Ava.

"Right, i'm so sorry for the tapes by the way." Ava says with an apologetic smile after helping Robin finish setting the tapes up. "Okay look Robin, i empathize, but this cannot wait." Dustin says, "What, cause calling Eddie's friend is an emergency?" Robin scoffs.

"Correct!" Dustin shouts, "Want me to strangle him or do you want to?" Steve asks Ava and Robin, "We could all take turns." Robin responds with a cheeky smile. "Can you fill them in while i do this?" Dustin pleads to Max, "Fill us in on what?" Robin asks, returning to the boy.

Max fills them all in on what happened to Chrissy. "And so.. We think that a creature.. More preferably something from the upside down or something killed her." Max admits weakly, not wanting to say the word 'Demogorgan' or 'Mind Flayer'.

~~~

"I really don't think he's at the arcade. Yep, i'm pretty sure." Robin says on the phone, "Reefer rick? No. Does this Reefer Rick have a last name?" Max says on the phone, making Ava gulp. Ava knew exactly where Reefer Rick was, and who he was.

"Hey guys, i might have a lead." Max speaks up, making them all turn to her. "Seriously?" Dustin asks with a smile, "Yeah." The redhead responds. "Apparently, Eddie gets drugs from some guy named Reefer Rick." Max says, looking over at Ava, who tried to do her best poker face, but it didn't work in general.