00. patient

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

The clock kept ticking but they stood right there, frozen — as if time was an illusion, as if memories were mere hallucinations, as if none of this was real at all.

Flashes of reminiscence returned to him but Vivaan couldn't piece them together. His med school knowledge was blurry as ever, recent memories occupying his mind, leaving a bitter aftertaste. No one knew where this patient had come from or who he was. And not a body in the operation theatre could figure out what was wrong with him.

Senses on a high alert now, he could hear the wheels of the stretcher screech against the tiled floor outside. His heart kept racing with each passing moment as the cacophony of voices inside the operation theatre subsided into an eerie silence. Though all his seniors had themselves covered in scrubs and masks, he didn't need a look at their faces to fathom the anxiety written over them.

Unlike him, everyone else in the room tried to summon the lost information, scrambling their brain for anything that could help the case before them. The patient lay still but he wasn't dead. They didn't know if he could be termed alive either. Giving in to the urge, Vivaan found his eyes squeezed shut, hoping to recollect something, anything about such a vague occurrence.

To any onlooker, this patient was asleep — probably in deep sleep but a look at his vitals told a completely different story. What looked like quite a simple issue shook these doctors' to the very core.

"Why, after all, did he faint all of a sudden?" Vivaan's batchmate, Abby, voiced her thoughts in an attempt to brainstorm with their mentor.

Carsen's — the mentor's — eyebrows furrowed deeply and seemed to blend into one as he tried to focus in recollection. The scene played out like a loop; everyone in the operation theatre shared the same experience. His brain tried to scan through any possible reminiscence of his university lectures but nothing seemed to come to his rescue. A pit grew in his stomach and he frantically ran his fingers through his hair, trying to hide the way his fingers were shivering. He needed to set a better example in front of his juniors.

Sighing in defeat, he finally spoke after what felt like a haunting silence. "I can't figure this out but I'm sure it's not as straightforward as it seems. Something is terribly, terribly wrong with this boy. I wouldn't even call his condition rare because I don't think I have ever seen a human do this before."

"What do you think happened to him?" Vivaan couldn't hold his curiosity. "Why isn't he responding to any medicines at all?"

"I-" Shrugging with his hands in the air, Carsen let out a loud exhale and pulled off his mask. "I don't know, okay?" Though he was supposed to be training these clinical rotation students, today was not a day to teach them about medicines and handling patients. Today was a tough lesson about honesty. Admitting to yourself that you may not have the solution to everything.