05. again

I had to see her again to make sure she was for real

I had to see her again to make sure she was for real. All of this couldn't be just a dream, could it?

"Cindy, please. Let me go. I need to see her." I pleaded to the woman blocking the door. "She needs me, Cinderella, you know it. Please trust me with this; I can handle all her-"

"Look, Diego." She scratched the back of her neck and shook her head in hesitation. "I'm not sure if I should let you in. She's crying and clearly breaking things in there."

Just as she spoke, another shatter reverberated through the thin walls.

Pointing a chipped nail at the room, she put her fears into words. "The state of mind she's in right now- Uh." She was clearly trying hard not to say something offensive. "She's not in the right headspace, okay? I'm afraid that she might hurt you."

"Well." I crossed my arms across my chest defiantly. It was going to take more than pleading to convince Cinderella to let me go inside. "There's a high possibility that she might have already hurt herself. Have you thought about that?"

The way Cindy's mouth opened and closed without uttering a single word was enough indication that I had managed to convince her. Rushing past her, I headed towards the room, assuming that's where Lyra was right now, shedding tears probably. Knocking once, I opened the door slightly and peeked in. But she wasn't crying.

She was doing something much worse.

As if the show was never over, as if all of what happened was just a nightmare. She kept dancing around the room, spinning like she was rehearsing for a performance yet to come. Blocking her path, I tried to catch hold of her but she pirouetted into another direction. What was she trying to do? Was she trying to prove to herself that she could do it right this time? Or was she merely replaying her trauma?

"Lyra?" I whispered, not trying in the least to hide the pain in my voice. Had I lost her yesterday or had I lost my mind today? Looks like I was about to find out.

Her name past my lips was all it took her to crumble and fall into pieces again. Shedding some loose feathers from her costume with a jerk, she curled up into a ball and cried, burying her face into her knee. Hesitantly, I touched her arm once to make sure she wasn't just a ghost I was imagining. She was. All too real.

I could feel the goosebumps on her skin, the way her body felt cold just like her corpse- We were past that now. I wasn't going to think about it anymore.

Ignoring the fact that she looked terribly cute, I sat beside her and rubbed her knee. To any on-looker it would have looked like I was trying to push her knee cap out of place. Don't blame me, I never learnt how to console someone who was crying their eyes out. But my weird gesture worked and she looked at me, startled, as if just registering my presence.

"D? What are you doing here?" She managed to speak, poison dripping from her words.

I shrugged, not knowing what else to say. "Just checking up on you?"