07. blindfold

Hey! It's been such a long time! Tell me something about your life. What's going on? Feel free to rant here (please ensure to keep this a safe space for everyone) <3

-------

Humans are strange

Humans are strange.

As I slowly made my way back home, my legs shaking like they would give up on me anytime soon, I couldn't help but shiver once. It wasn't because of the cold air though. It was because of what I had just read.

The words she used were so sharp, so lethal as if her thoughts were already poisoning her slowly. As if she was dying a death daily but we got to see it happen just once; on the day she lost her battle and jumped from the school's terrace.

Slowly, I came to the conclusion that somehow, the people we meet daily are like the tip of an iceberg. You think you see them, you think you know them too. But nobody can ever estimate the depth of their souls, no one can find out what lurks in the darkness, hidden from plain sight.

It is so scary that one day, you can think of someone as a very happy, cheerful person. And the very next day, your world of illusions could crumble with one small act. Just like mine did with Lyra's fall.

The day — before reality turned into my worst nightmare — we were happily dancing in Connor's party, singing along to the tunes we had long forgotten. It was surprising nevertheless, to be invited by Connor on his birthday but we had a pact since childhood. That whenever any of us would turn 18, no matter where in the world we would be, we'd celebrate it together. I was yet to anticipate mine but he kept his word.

And that's when I realised — sometimes, you're not as lonely as you think you are. One look around and you'll find someone who cares for you. But there's this thing about intrusive thoughts. Just like a duster on a chalkboard, it wipes clean your slate of logic and reasoning. Until you're left to battle with your darkest thoughts with just emotions — all by yourself. Because you've already pushed everyone else away by the time you find yourself seeking comfort from outside.

I wish Lyra could have taken the blindfold of pessimism off and looked around once before ending her life. Just one look and she would find me standing there — ready to offer her all the love that existed in this world. Just one glimpse and she would know I was right there, all along, waiting for her to catch up. Just one chance and she would never be lonely or sad again. I would make sure of it.

The cold touch of the marble floor against my feet reminded me I had reached home already. Zoning out during the walk, I kept thinking, trying to get into Lyra's shoes and see life from her perspective. And what followed scared me — not because of the anguish and plethora of emotions that threatened to weigh me down. But because I realised I knew them, all too well. And maybe, just maybe, I was fighting a battle too, without ever acknowledging it.