06. notebook

A while later, Lyra was about to leave and acting on reflex, I reached out for her hand

A while later, Lyra was about to leave and acting on reflex, I reached out for her hand. My warm fingers wrapping around her fragile wrist, I silently begged her to stay, afraid that I wouldn't be able to find her again if I let her disappear from my sight.

"Diego?" She asked, concern written all over her face. I had never shown this needy, vulnerable side to her ever before. Maybe she thought I was being clingy or maybe she found it annoying but I couldn't filter my emotions anymore.

After what happened, after that dreadful turn of events, I had learnt the value of time and honesty the hard way. And it was moments like these that made all the suffering worthwhile. She turned to walk towards me, letting her grip on the doorknob go and freed her hand from my grasp.

A pang of sadness was about to hit me until she chose to intertwine our fingers instead. Fingers locked together, I managed to whisper her name out loud. "Lyra?"

"What's up with you?" She asked, a little scared, a little irritated.

"Wait some more, please?" With a nod, she walked back inside and sat beside me. Our arms rubbed in contact, as if they craved the proximity too but when Lyra didn't scoot away, I found my courage slowly grow. I hoped that my face didn't give away my thoughts else it would be clearly readable that I was blushing. Probably way too hard at the smallest of gestures.

"Hey, idiot." I nudged her with my elbow and she grimaced, not wanting to ruin the comfortable silence between us. "If there's ever anything-"

"Are you okay? You're acting so different today. So weird. Did anything happen at home? Did your dad-" She turned to face me this time.

"No. All good." I lied, biting my lip. "I was just saying, that- I understand you can't share everything that goes on in your head with me. Not that you can't. I mean, maybe you won't though because um, well, it isn't as easy to trust someone and-"

"I trust you, D." Her words felt like a dagger to my heart. Did she, really? If she did, why did she not tell me about the things that troubled her all along before giving up on herself? Why- No, now's not the time.

"All I am saying is I'm not a girl so my brain is probably wired differently and I may not understand everything that you go through."

She broke our contact now, pushing herself just a little but farther. Great going, Diego. "Your point being?"

"Though I will fully try to understand everything you share with me, if you ever need to talk to someone, tell someone something but can't say it to their face, here." I dug into my bag and pulled out a plain notebook.

"What's this?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Write whatever you feel in this and you'll feel like there's someone to hear you. It can be absolutely anything you want. Song lyrics, sad poems or anything that troubles you or keeps you up at night-"