03. wishes

I sat on the beach with tears in my eyes, as the whiff of salt in the air mocked my state of mind

I sat on the beach with tears in my eyes, as the whiff of salt in the air mocked my state of mind. The splashing waves reminded me of my pitiable condition. Just like the ripples, I was roaming here and there, lost in life's current — simply flowing wherever it took me.

For I was never in control of my own life anyway.

I was like a rubber duck lost in the sea — being tossed wherever the waves took me. No direction, no aim left anymore. No reason to hold on; not a soul to live for. My life was literally like a ship without a rudder, moving aimlessly. Just like these metaphors, I didn't even know what point I was trying to make anymore. I couldn't understand why I was still alive when all the people who mattered had left me already.

No words appear before me in the aftermath
Salt streams out my eyes and into my ears
.❞

Lifting the weight of the heavy school bag from my shoulders, I took a deep breath and threw it on the sand. But my shoulders were still tense, as if something way heavier than the bag kept weighing me down. I kept staring into the flickering flame of the candle that danced along with the wind. It had Lyra's name carved on it, after all, they were meant to be used for her last rites though I stole one away.

It felt like the flame would wear out any second now when the breeze got wilder. But it came back stronger each time — burning brighter than ever just when I thought the flame would extinguish for good. I wish Lyra would too.

Please come back, idiot.

It was ironic how this was the exact place where Lyra and I were cracking jokes yesterday, slow dancing in the cold breeze just like the candle's timid blaze was. But who would've thought our flame was about to blow out so soon? The melting wax dripped from the candle, sticking to my skin but I couldn't feel the pain anymore. Maybe my hand was just numb from holding the candle for so long or maybe it felt too minimal compared to the storm brewing in my head.

I opened my mouth and exhaled all the air inside my body — someone needed to teach me how to breathe again because each breath I took in made my chest feel tighter and tighter. As if my ribs would lock around my heart and clench it till it gave up. As if-

One look at the flame and I couldn't help but wonder if the oxygen that helped me breathe was the same reason this candle was slowly reaching its ultimate death. Some would say candles are meant to burn, meant to melt into a puddle of wax once it completes its story. But my story with Lyra was still incomplete. She had no right to die and end it so abruptly.

Every single thing I touch becomes sick with sadness
'Cause it's all over now, all out to sea.

Caressing Lyra's name on the candle with my thumb, I blew at the flame and watched as a gush of black smoke came out of the burnt wick. Though Lyra left me early, I wasn't going to let the candle die like her.