01. maroon

[if you haven't read chapter 00, please read it before you begin this one.]

DIEGO FOSTER

DIEGO FOSTER

A wide smile broke out on my face when I peeked at the red roses I was holding.

It was so difficult to believe I had waited for this moment for over 2 years now. Being the shy little idiot I am, I could never tell my best friend that I was in love with her — have been, actually, since a while now. But I'm her idiot and I wouldn't mind being one my whole life if that's what it takes to make her smile.

I remember the way her eyes always twinkle whenever she calls me that. Idiot. She had called me an idiot on multiple occasions now — whenever I tried to tease her with someone else in school, when I called roses red instead of maroon, when I joked about marrying her someday. But today, there would be no facades, no need to hide behind silly what ifs. Just the truth. My truth. That I'm madly, irrevocably and stupidly in love with my best friend.

And this time, nothing can stop me from saying it out loud today.

The plastic on the bouquet crinkled under my nervous grip and I opened the box to find the ruby ring refracting colours under the soft sunlight. The pendant was just the way it was supposed to be — a half heart and the other half was supposed to stay with me. Everything was perfect. It had to be. After all, my love deserves the whole world — only the best. And I had spent years of my life trying to be someone who could deserve someone as perfect as her.

Running a hand through my hair and muttering a prayer for strength, I strode towards the school building to find her and tell her just how much I love her. Right since I first laid my eyes on her at that Christmas party, right since we locked eyes and smiled at each other, flashing our broken teeth, I fell for her bit by bit each day. How could I not? One look into those grey eyes and all you'd want to do is swim in that vast ocean of nothingness. That was the day I realised there was no coming back, all I wanted to do was drown into her. And I haven't been able to get my eyes off of her ever since.

Something inside me tells me she's going to be a big part of my future; I'm positive of it.

My touch soft and gentle, I brushed my thumb over the rose petals once, fantasising about the way blood would rush to her pale cheeks when she would see the bouquet. After all, maroon was her favourite colour, be it on anything. Her mobile cover, the colour of her nails, the ruby studded on this ring, these deep red roses or even-

My fingers stayed stuck to the petals when something hovering above me caught my attention. I tried to squint my eyes to get a better look but in an instant, the shadowy figure blocked the sunlight from my view.

The ruby ring stopped shining under the light, turning into a darker shade and an anxious feeling took over my gut. I wasn't sure if it was anger or fear that made me want to yell at this person for ruining my sweet moments of daydreaming. They better not spoil my soon-to-be most cherished memory with Lyra with antics like these.