08. daylight

The next morning when I woke up, I could see the sun shining brightly in the sky

The next morning when I woke up, I could see the sun shining brightly in the sky. Making its way through a window in my room, the daylight greeted me, reminding me of the resolution I had made yesterday night before I fell asleep.

I was supposed to take my blindfold off and find my daylight today. Probably slowly, but surely.

I don't know what it is about the sun that instantly puts me at ease. My lips naturally curled upwards in spite of all the pain and upsetting feeling gnawing in the back of my mind. It was as if a ray of daylight was all I needed to hold the horses of my overthinking brain.

For I knew that whenever I would look at the sky outside, no matter how downhill everything was going, until the sun would keep shining in its full glory, I would never be alone. Because unless the sun stopped rising, there was still hope left. Just like my silly little wish that came true, the sun that made it happen would also give me courage to hold on and fight my own battles while I helped Lyra survive through hers.

I can't understand why. Something about this alluring source of light pushes away all my dark thoughts. Maybe it's the way a single ray of sunlight can eradicate all darkness or maybe it was the way I liked being able to see things clearly.

And now that I've seen how the cards play, now that I know how this game ends, I need to acknowledge that the love of my life can never see the daylight with her eyes sewn shut. Not until she realises and chooses to accept that she is blindfolded as well.

But I couldn't risk it this time. If things don't work out in this second chance I got, my last chance, I will have to be the one who takes the blindfold off for her. And though the sunlight may scare her initially, she will slowly adapt to my world — the kind filled with hopes and possibilities.

Where lives are lost and battles are fought to regain lost love. Where the craziest wishes come true and where everything that lives and breathes conspires against death to reunite you with your love.

Somehow, I realised we were meant to be the X and Y axis of a graph that intersected just at one point — the origin. That was our destiny, together for one moment and never supposed to meet ever again. But who knew the Y axis would get so adamant and try to coincide itself with the X axis for togetherness till infinity?

As impossible as it sounded, this very sun outside my window had given this Y axis, me, a second chance to meet my X axis — the love of my life, my best friend Lyra. And even if this would somehow put all other lines in our life out of place and make the graph paper of this universe nothing but a green checkered page with scattered, meaningless lines, I was granted my wish for a second chance with Lyra and that's all that mattered to me now.

I didn't care about the consequences as long as I had Lyra with me.

I had no idea how the rest of these events would flow but I was already creating alternate realities with the girl I fell in love with. As if we were holding hands and simply laughing into the chaos as we ran away from everything holding this world in a balance, branching into our own unique timeline to create the ending our story deserved all along.