14. ending

Trigger Warning / Disclaimer : Underage drinking

Nothing mattered to me right now.

I was so tired of waiting for sleep to come get me but it seemed to be in a rift with me. My patience was running out and my eyelids kept drooping, making me almost fall asleep in the middle of a birthday celebration. My mind played tricks on me and I kept yawning constantly, almost offending everyone around me at the party. What was wrong with me?

After pulling an all-nighter with Lyra a few hours back, I had no energy left in me to stand on the dance floor, let alone sway to the wild beats. Neither could I muster up the courage and patience to stay with Connor till his party winded up. We had a lot to talk about but he was popular, to say the least, and the number of people in his party left me way too anxious.

We could sort out our problems some other day — and I am sure he would come talk to me after the snowball I had just gifted him. A reminder from our old days where we used to be best buddies. Ever since I first learned how to make friends, Connor was my first one. My best friend since childhood but there were a few secrets in my life that weren't meant for anyone but me. And no matter how bad I wanted him to know, there was no way for me to tell him about Lyra.

Just like the rest of the world, he was clueless about how much I loved my best friend, Lyra, and not in a platonic way. He could never know just how much she meant to me and the lengths I would go to for her. Well, already had, technically, considering I even cheated death to spend the rest of my life with her.

And if this isn't love, I don't know what is.

Maybe his obliviousness was the reason why Connor had the audacity to ask Lyra for a dance tonight when I was sitting right next to her. After the way the events of the past few months had played out, I had somehow started believing that fate would favour me now, that Lyra would pick me this time. But she happily accepted his offer to dance, just like the last time, and they happily swooped the attention of everyone on the dance floor as he whispered things into Lyra's ear. Things that made her laugh, things that made her giggle like she was an early teenager.

I couldn't figure what made my head throb more — the smiling pair or my lack of sleep. Or probably both. I bet it was the former one though else Lyra would have been cranky too, considering we were up together. But she was fine, happily dancing with him and staying by his side earlier today at the party.

I bit the insides of my cheek when I saw him gracefully and protectively wrap his arm around Lyra's waist, as if she belonged to him and not me. The perfection with which their bodies swayed together to the tune of the song playing made a fire burn within me. It was as if Lyra and I hadn't danced together to the same song earlier today at all.

It was like I no longer mattered to her when she had better company.

Anyone on the floor could clearly see both of them were having a great time together and just the two of them would be enough to keep the party going because their eyes were fixated on each other the whole time anyway. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a bit here but I'm tired, okay? What did Connor even keep whispering in her ear to make her laugh over and over again? Or was she just trying to please him so he would help her out with finding a job?