12. tainted

Deep in sleep, I heard a constant beeping sound echoing around me, much like the sound I heard on the beach that day before-

My eyes instantly flew open when I remembered that terrifying day. Before I could process my thoughts more clearly, I realised the sound was coming from my cell phone across the room. Lazily, I rubbed my eyes and pushed the covers aside, up on my feet now to catch hold of the phone that kept buzzing away annoyingly.

"Hello?" I cleared my throat and spoke into the phone, my voice sounding so raspy that I could barely hear myself talk.

The only response I got from the other side was silence.

"Hello?" I repeated, assuming the person across the line wouldn't have heard me the first time. "What the fuck?" My sleep returned and I barely stifled a yawn. "Who the hell do you think you are to call someone in the middle of the night? Literally at-"

I jerked the phone away from my ear to check out the time.

[Alt Text: Image of a lockscreen with a young couple's silhouette

[Alt Text: Image of a lockscreen with a young couple's silhouette. Text reflected is — Good Night. 3:06 a.m. Monday, 08 June 2015. Unlock prompt — Swipe up to do great things today.]

It was really late and since there was no response to my outburst, I had already started assuming the person would have dialled my number by mistake. But just as I was about to hang up, I noticed the caller ID on my phone screen. A familiar name reflected on my screen, filling me with a lot of confused emotions.

Lyra Sparks

"Lyra? Is this you?" I rolled my eyes. She was technically a sleepyhead — someone who never woke up to the loudest of sounds until she had a proper, sound sleep — and I couldn't figure out any reason for her to call me at such an odd timing. Was it just a butt-dial or an accidental call?

Thinking of it as a glitch, I was about to hang up when I heard something on the other side. The faintest of sounds, a very muffled noise. As if she had a hand wrapped around her mouth. When I stayed silent, the voice on the other end got a bit more noticeable. It wasn't too loud, more like a groan coming out of a dry throat.