Prologue

A/N : Trigger Warning. There are mentions of mental disorders such eating disorder, chronic depression and self harm. Please proceed with caution.

°~°Melancholy : (n) a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.°~°

Charlie Hopper was a happy kid until he wasn't. His sister died of cancer when he was twelve. His mother, unable to cope with the grief, left him and his father. His father, also not able to cope with the grief, became an alcoholic.

His mother started a new life and a new family, where he wasn't welcome. His dad also started a new life, a worse one, where he wasn't welcome.

Jim Hopper loved his son. But whenever alcohol hit his blood stream he said thing he didn't mean. Horrible things, that he forgot the morning after but left Charlie scarred forever.

Charlie was called Psycho by Steve Harrington on his first day of middle school. Because he had a panic attack in the classroom with everyone watching. At first Charlie tried to ignore him but the insults only got progressively worse. And that's how Charlie became the Psycho kid with anger issues - when he broke Steve Harrington's right hand in two.

Charlie was suspended and almost send into Juvenile. He came back as a complete different person. He made breaking faces a hobby and no one dared to badmouth him again, at least not at front.

However, Charlie had other problems too. Problems he had no control over. Some days Charlie couldn't get out of bed. He felt drained. He couldn't even brush his teeth or take a shower. Some days he couldn't eat. When he tried to the food would come right back up making him feel even more sick than he was before. Some days the pain his chest was so heavy, he would cut himself just to feel anything else. To divert the pain. To regain some sort of control.

Jim Hopper was unaware of this mostly because he was drowning in alcohol half the time. But when Will Byers went missing, Charlie had taken a keen interest finding the boy and Jim Hopper had almost sobered up.
Charlie was finally found friends in Jonathan Byers and this might surprise you Nancy Wheeler.

And for a while even with all the choas Charlie had found a purpose in life. Finding Will, helping the party and protecting Eleven Charlie had little time to think about the sorrow buried deep within him.

Until, Will was saved and El disappeared. It felt as though he had Sarah back and lost her again. It felt like he had to relive the worst day of his life.

Charlie blatantly ignored the truce offering from his mortal enemy-Steve Harrington. As soon as Will woke up, Charlie left the hospital. He convinced himself everything was fine. The next day he woke up like any other day. He brushed, showered and made his dad breakfast.

He went back to his room and opened his wardrobe and grabbed a sweatshirt when his knees buckled and he felt to the floor, sobbing. Hopper came in seconds later to find his son kneeling on the floor, crying.
He pulled his son into a hug but Charlie didn't hug him back. He had his palms balled into fits, tightly held close to his chest. He cried like he hadn't in a long time. Even when Charlie didn't tell him, Hopper knew Charlie was grieving the lose of another sister.

~~~~~~~