Drifting Apart

"Charlie, where are you???" Nancy yelled again.

Charlie terribly confused at first. Then the realization hit. Charlie had coincidently parked his jeep exactly where Barb had left hers. Never coming back. Charlie got out of the camaro and walked upto Steve and Nancy.

"Oh my God woman, stop yelling." he exclaimed. Nancy saw him rushed to wrap her arms around him. Charlie hugged her back. His hand rubbing her back comfortingly.

"I'm okay Nance."
As soon as Nacy let go Steve hugged him.

Charlie tensed. His hands hovered over Steve's shoulder. But Steve was holding onto him like his life depended on it. Charlie shuddered. He felt Billy's glare behind him. Charlie slowly, deliberately placed his hand around Steve's shoulder.

When they pulled apart Charlie immediately averted his gaze. Somehow he felt guilty. He didn't regret having sex with Billy, but he did feel something for Steve.

"Where were you?" Steve asked. His hands firmly on Charlie's shoulders.

Charlie fumbled and looked at Billy, who smirked and took a few steps forward.

"I was... We were..."

"Studying." Billy finished.

Very believable. Charlie mentally rolled his eyes.

"Biology." Billy added looking directly at Charlie. Steve's hands dropped from Charlie's shoulders.

Charlie glared at the blonde for being so blunt. He looked back at Steve who was of course glaring daggers at Billy.

"Really Hargrove. I swear if you're making him do anything he doesn't want to-".

"Then what? What are you going to do Harrington?" Billy asked, dropping his cigarette and stepping on it. They were chest to chest now. Nancy jumped and pulled Steve back by his arm. Charlie placed a hand Billy's chest. He didn't push him, he just said

"Billy please. Not now, not here."
The blonde looked at him and placed his own hand around his wrist.

Steve watched the interaction. The possessive hand on Billy's chest like it's not the first time he had done it. And the Hargrove's fingers curling around Charlie's wrist like it's been there before. They looked like they're used to each other.

"Go home." Billy said to Charlie and turned around. His finger slipped from Charlie's wrist. Charlie watched him go. He turned to Nancy and Steve.

"What were you doing with him?"
Nancy asked.

"Studying. I'm supposed to help him with economics. He just wants to get on your nerves, trust me."

"I told you he is trouble." Steve said angrily.

"And I told you I can handle myself."
Charlie shrugged. His hand hand went to his neck and he hissed. That's when he realised he was covered in hickeys. They were bright red on his neck and shoulders.

"I think I'm gonna go home now. This day has been really weird." Nancy said, Charlie could tell he wasn't the only one torn between two people. She came forward and hugged him again.

"Don't scare me like that again."

"I won't, promise."

Once she drove away, Charlie walked to his jeep without saying goodbye to Steve. Steve stopped him by grabbing his hand.

"Stop, wait." Charlie looked at him, face blank. "Are you sleeping with Hargrove?"
Charlie almost flinched. He grabbed Steve's collar and slammed him against the jeep and shushed him.