Hurt

Charlie was sitting in Steve Harrington's dinner table. With the brunette sitting opposite him. Why was he here? His beloved English teacher thought it was a great idea to pair them for an assignment and presentation on Emily Dickinson and her works. As much as Charlie loved poems and literature, working with Steve was torture.

"She wrote about death like a lot." Steve said and Charlie looked at him.

"She wrote about love a lot too, Harrington."
Charlie said in hoarse voice. The weather was changing and he wasn't feeling well.

"Do you want me to get you something hot?" Steve asked.

"I'm good. Fall and winter aren't for me. I love them...but turns my throat dryer than Sahara."

Steve chuckled. Charlie glanced at the boy. He couldn't look away. Steve had his brows knit together as he read through the pages of a critical analysis of Dikinsons poems. He was chewing on his bottom lip.

"You know you've been reading the same page for almost half an hour." Charlie said with a laugh.

It made Steve's heart flutter. He flushed and grinned.

"Not everyone is as smart as you are."

Charlie laughed again. It was muffled and low. It made Steve feel things. Things he should only feel when he is around Nancy.

"How's the college essay coming along?" Charlie asked and Steve looked at him surprised.

"Nancy told me." he clarified.

"It's okay I guess.. Nance is helping me. But you know.. She is more focused on other things at the moment."
Steve sighed. Charlie raised an eye brow.

"What other things?"

"Just...you know...Last year, monster hunting... Barb."
Steve said carefully. Charlie nodded.

"She lost her best friend after all. Maybe she still feels at fault."

"I would appreciate if she actually talked to me about it and not Jonathan."
There was an edge to his voice. Charlie stared at him.

"How do you know?" he asked and Steve shrugged.

They stayed silent for another minute or two. Charlie skimmed over the pages without focusing.

"Talk to her." He simply put.

"You actually want us to work, why?"
Steve asked dropping his pen on the table and sitting straighter.

"Because she is my best friend and I want her to be happy. And I..." Charlie stopped. He carefully said the next words.

"And I also don't want you to get hurt."

If Nancy and Jonathan, actually had something between them, then Steve was going to get hurt badly.

"The only person hurting me right now is you." Steve said, and Charlie started at him.

"What? I-"

"Do you have any idea what it does to me when I see you sneaking around with Hargrove? When you are sending each other glances in the cafeteria and classrooms?"

Steve said sitting nearer to Charlie and looking deeply into his eyes. The Hopper is frozen.

"Do you even like him? Or is it to keep me away?" Steve leans closer. Their faces were inches apart.

"Steve..."

"Tell me Charlie, if Nancy was not in the picture anymore, would you still be with him?"

Questions.