Summer Nights

A little bit of smut towards the end.

"... I love you... Charlie."

Charlie opened his eyes and saw light through the window. He lied on his back, staring at the ceiling, trying to wake up properly. A sheet was pulled up to his waist.
His moon pendent glistened in the sunlight. He touched a figure to it and smiled almost unconsciously. Steve had bought two chains, one with a sun pendent and the other with a moon pendent, for both of them to wear. Charlie barely took his off, it made him feel safe. He instinctively reached for Steve, only to find the bed empty. It was one of those mornings he hadn't spend the night at Steve's. Charlie closed his eyes with a sigh.

"... I love you... Charlie."

Charlie was having the same dream for a while now. Now they were getting more and more frequent. He never remembered the details of it, only how he felt in those dreams -

Terrified. Hollow. Desperate.

He shook of the thoughts and tried to convince himself that his dreams were just dreams. Nothing more.

Charlie looked at his watch and saw the time. He had to get up. He was working as a life guard at the pool until he went off to college. Something, both his dad and Steve thought was unnecessary. But Charlie wanted to save up some money before he went to California. Yes, Charlie was going to California but without him.

Speaking of him, the only downside of working at the pool was being around a certain blonde Charlie had been avoiding. Billy hadn't mad any attempt to talk to him. Charlie was relieved but a little disappointed too. He had some faith in Billy, still.

Charlie rolled off his bed and got ready to face the day. He had his shift between Heather and Billy, which meant avoiding him was impossible. Then he had to go to start court to see his boyfriend. Charlie loved calling Steve his boyfriend. Even though they weren't out yet.

Charlie made his way to the living room, where Hopper was glaring daggers at El's door. He walked over to the kitchen table and poured himself a cup of coffee.

“You're about to make a hole through that door.” his voice snapped Hopper out of his daze.

“That wheeler kid is coming over.”

“Again?” Charlie asked raising an eye brow.

“Yes, again! I mean don't he have anything else to do? It's summer for God's sake!”

Charlie calmly sipped his coffee, relishing the taste. He hummed before answering,

“I mean you did keep them away for almost an year... So...” Hopper galred and Charlie immediately justified himself
“I'm not saying it's fine but they're teenagers now. You can't control them all the time.”

Hopper stoop up.

“Maybe you should be here more often, then she wouldn't need company from outside.”

Charlie sighed heavily and looked up the ceiling as if seeking help from God.

“Dad... I'm 18, alright? And I'm going away soon. Trust me, I love El and I love spending time with her. But she needs to have a life outside these walls.”

“I'm letting that Mike kid come around so often, that's already too much.” Hopper argued. Charlie stood with his arms akimbo and said firmly.

“I agree with one thing, she need friends other than Mike but you can't just pull them apart. It's not fair.”

Hopper scoffed and turned away. Charlie let out another deep exhale and said.

“I will be coming home tonight and I'll spent more time with her. But I won't ask her to stop seeing Mike. It's hypocritical.”