Monster Hunting

Dustin and Steve sat in the Hendersons living room as Charlie called every possible number in Hawkins. His dad hadn't been to the station that day. No one at the Byers was answering. He was beginning to lose all hope.

Charlie sat with his head in his hands, trying to control his breathing. Dustin and Steve looked at each other. Neither of them knowing what to do. The phone rang startling all of them. Charlie picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey kid." said the voice on the other side.

Charlie sighed with relief. His throat tightened. When he tried to speak, nothing came out. Tears clinged to his lashes.

"Charlie, are you there?"

"Yeah, yeah... I'm here." his voice was sqeeky.

"It's okay. I'm fine. I'm at the hospital with Will. Are you alright?"

Charlie swallowed thickly and sniffed before answering.

"I'm fine. Everything is fine. I just...nothing. You had me worried."

"Yeah me too. But I will see you soon. Okay?"

"....okay...." Charlie replied meekly.

They both paused. Both of them thinking about saying the same thing. Something they both haven't said to each other in a long time.

"I love you, kid." Hopper finally said. Being at the brink of death and knowing the threat that loomed over his son, he knew the may not always get a chance.

"I love you too." Charlie said without hesitation.

The trio were on the road again. Charlie hadn't said a word. Steve and Dustin were stuck between wanting to speak but too afraid to freak Charlie out further. Especially since the boy kept flinching at every passing shadow and sound.

They parked the car by the side of the road and walked into the jungle, making a trail of meat on their way. Charlie and Dustin walked ahead and Steve was a little behind.

"Why did you keep it?" Charlie asked Dustin.

"I thought it was cool." Dustin replied but Charlie knew there was more to it.

"Dustin."

"Okay, I wanted to impress this really cool new girl in my class." Dustin sighed.

"Max?" Charlie raised a brow.

"Yeah. How do you know her?"

Charlie didn't answer. He looked away, getting lost in his own thoughts again.

"Alright, so let get this straight..." Steve started. "You kept this thing, knowing it was dangerous, to impress a girl you just met?"

"Alright, that grossly oversimplifing things." Dustin said, matter of factly.

"Why would any girl like a nasty slug anyway."

"An interdimentional slug. Because it's awesome."

Charlie wished Stev would just leave it alone. The constant talk of the creature was making his stomach turn.

"Well even if she liked it, which she didn't..." Steve went on.
"I.. I just.. I don't know. I just think you're trying too hard."

Charlie glared at him. Steve met his gaze for second, immediately turning away.

"Well not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin said.

"It's not all about the hair man. You know with girls, you just have to act like you don't care."
Steve said. Charlie mentally groaned. But he kept quiet.