Chapter 6- The Highschool Reunion

--Marcos POV--

"I'm not going,"

"Why not? It sounds fun," My secretary, Carlos, spoke as he followed me into my office after having read the letter for my high school reunion aloud.

"Carlos, I pay you to work, not for your opinions," I kindly reminded as the little excited smile fell off his face to be replaced with an unsurprised, deadpanned look.

"And I didn't move from Brazil, my home country, leaving all my family and friends behind to make a life for myself here in Rome, only to end up getting bullied by my boss," He cut back as he crossed his arms to which I replied with an eyeroll before I went to go sit at my desk.

"If you're not happy with it then feel free to quit, I've got people lined up, begging for the job that you have," I pointed at the door as he huffed, coming to stand on the opposite side of my stained-black glass desk.

"And I guarantee you that none of those people will have as much patience as me to deal with you... sir," He politely added at the end as I raised my head to look at him.

"I'm not going, it'll just be a waste of time," I finished.

"If you say so, then I guess that's it. It's a shame though, I'm sure loads of other people will go in the hopes of meeting you," He sighed as he placed the letter on my desk before pulling his iPad out from under his arms to carry on with the work at hand.

"Why do you say that?" I half-amusedly asked as I read through the open contract that I was supposed to have signed by last week.

I was already running behind schedule with work, dealing with a conglomerate as big as Romano corp. is easier said than done, I had only been doing a small fraction of the work before my father retired, but now that I've got the full load, it'll take more than a few years to get used to it, to put it simply.

"Because you're a handsome, rich, young bachelor, and you're even friendly to people who don't work for you, I can't say much to that last point though, since I work for you," He just had to take every opportunity he could to have a jab at me.

"Then that gives me even more of a reason not to go," I waved the conversation off as I hunched forward on my desk to continue reading the contract, something I've been trying to do for too long, but end up getting distracted every single time.

"You were a loner at school, weren't you?" He smirked, seeming to love the idea.

"What? No, I wasn't," I shot back, offended, to say the least.

"Then what, did you get bullied?"

"You think anyone would dare to bully me? They couldn't even if they tried," I sat back on my chair as I spoke, crossing my legs as he took a moment to think about it.

"Then I don't understand why you don't want to go. You spent five years in the institution, and whether or not you liked it, I'm sure it helped you to grow into the person you are today, it would be nice to revisit that place for the memories, at least,"

"I don't care much for memories," I rolled my eyes, picking my pen back up.

"You are a bleak man," He shook his head as he stared at me with a pitiful look on his face. If he kept talking, I swear I would accidentally end up socking him in the face.

"I am not," I stood up, snatching the letter off the table as I read over it myself.

"Sure," He irritatingly spoke.

"Fine, I'll go. Why do you even want me to go so bad? It's just a random high school reunion, if high school meant so much to me then I think I'd at least still be friends with a few people," I spoke, irked by his words as I shoved the letter into the drawer and sat back down on my seat.