Chapter 36- The Next Step

--Marcos POV--

"I can't believe you gave me work to do, and then when I was finished with it, you weren't even there to take it." Lucian complained as he stood beside me, a glass of champagne in his hand as we both looked in the distance to where my wife was dancing on stage with the kids that she claimed to be her friends.

"Let's be honest, it wasn't even you that did most of the work, so what are you complaining about?" I scoffed, taking a sip of my own beverage.

"Guess I'm still salty that you went and got married without me being there. I was supposed to be your groomsman," He glared.

"I didn't have any groomsmen, it's a small wedding. Don't worry, when it's your turn, I'll be your groomsman," I rolled my eyes as I spoke.

"No, you don't get to be my groomsman after betraying me like this. Besides, let's not talk about me getting married; The thought terrifies me."

"Why? Marriage is beautiful." I smiled, waving to my wife who caught my gaze as she grinned, waving back before continuing to dance with the little people around her. I can't wait for the honeymoon, already knowing that I won't be able to keep my hands to myself.

"Careful now. You don't want to jinx yourself," He mumbled.

"I can't wait to see you fall in love with someone someday." I laughed into my glass as I sipped my champagne, entertained, to say the least.

"Stop it, it's not funny," He glared, faking a shiver as he thought about something, no doubt that mother of his that's trying to get him married. "I'm too scared to even go home because she'll be there with another prospective wife... Who says money solves all problems, that person has clearly never met my mother."

"She doesn't want you to be alone. Most parents worry like that for their kids, mine was the same, but look at her now." I gestured to my mother who was dancing with my father on the stage, a satisfied grin on her face.

"The most influential man alive. And I'm scared of my mother," He scoffed.

"All good children are," I patted his shoulder.

"Maybe I should just marry Julia? But I won't be able to sleep with her, so that means I won't give my mother a grandchild, and then that would be a whole other story," He sighed, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "If only I could just bump into my dream person on the streets, life would be so much easier," I was almost starting to feel sorry for this man.

He was handsome, rich, and influential, the perfect bachelor that people were always talking about. Little did those people know that he's got a screw loose.

"Putting your marriage troubles aside, did you do the work I told you to?" I changed the topic.

"Yeah, I had to get some help from that loser, Leandro Gonzalez, but I found who you were looking for. I'll send the details to your email," He released a long sigh.

"Leandro Gonzalez... You mean-"

"Yes. I don't want to admit it, but yes. That weirdo that's dressed in black from head-to-toe 24/7, it's almost terrifying how no one's ever seen him in anything but black. If there's any man on this planet that's got a 0% chance of getting married, it's him." He firmly said.

Leandro Gonzalez was an infamous man. Both famous yet a secret from this world, the very name got the law going into a frenzy. Being the King of the underworld, no one remained his enemy for long since they were quietly executed. It's clear that he's carried out a number of illegal activities, but no one ever succeeded in arresting him for one sole reason; There was never any evidence, he carried out the perfect crimes and didn't leave a single trace behind.