Chapter 33- Home is You

--Dahlia POV--

"Let me help you with that," I attempted to take the laundry basket from her hands, but unlike how she would usually let me take it, she quickly swerved away with an amused laugh.

"Why?" Is all I asked, following her to the large garden.

"With that man watching over you in the way that he is, I'd feel like a villain if I let you help me," She didn't need to specify which man she was talking about, since there's only one staying under the same roof as us, but as she said, I turned to look behind me where he was sat under the canopy, drinking his iced latte, eyes pinned on my every move.

"So... Why did you lie about not knowing each other?" Margot asked, changing the subject as she put the basket down to start putting the washing up.

"I wanted to pull your leg. You're always the one pulling pranks on me, so I figured it was my chance to do the same to you," I quickly produced an excuse, hoping she'd believe it.

"Well, one thing's for sure..." She paused to spare me a smile.

"And what's that?" I crossed my arms with a raised brow.

"Your child is going to be adorable. Whether it takes after you or the father," I couldn't help but laugh, shrugging my shoulders since it wasn't exactly a lie, and without further ado, I started helping her with the laundry.

"I'm glad... That I didn't give up." I uttered out, pausing for a moment to take a deep breath of air, the floral scent of the laundry detergent mixed with the clean Roman air calming me.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes... With nothing to live for, I found no reason to keep trying so hard. But being here has helped me find a peace I didn't know existed. Meeting you, the kids, and all the nice people from the village has made me feel like I'm at a home away from home, so I'm thankful. Turns out, all I really needed to do to get rid of the pressure weighing me down was to explore the hidden wonders of the world a little bit; A place where people don't know anything about Dahlia Tarantino the figure skater, but just Dahlia."

"I'm happy for you, dear. But, you know, I don't really have anything to live for either..."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused all of a sudden.

"You'll be surprised to know that a lot of people in this world don't have anything to live for," She gave me a knowing look, the smile unmoving from her lips.

"Really?"

"Yes. I don't think you need something to live for. You can find peace, and happiness, just like everyone else without needing something to live for; All you need to do is open your eyes a little wider and take in the beauty that is here for you to explore," She gestured around herself.

"The world is vast and beautiful, take in that beauty that's here for you instead of searching for something complicated to live for. You're living, aren't you? Is that not enough? Your life is yours, and yours alone, nothing can change that."

A few simple words that she spoke without much thought was all it took for me to see this world in a new light. A complicated sight that was never meant to be so complicated, I felt so silly all of a sudden; It was so simple.

"You-" I had to cut myself off, repeating her words in my mind as an unknown weight was lifted off my shoulders, and with a smile on my face, I leaned in to hug her tightly.

"I'm glad I came here and got to meet you, Margot," Humming, she hugged me back, her hand stroking the back of my head in a motherly manner.

"I'm glad you came here, and I got to meet you too, dearest Dahlia,"