Chapter 28- Without A Trace

--Dahlia POV--

I didn't have an easy life. There was always someone after every obstacle waiting to push me down, trying to take something from me; Having lived a life like that, I now realise why being confident was so hard for me. While I had people who loved me, I was also aware of all the others that hated me, and that scared me.

After these recent events, I just wanted to give up.

I think I've worked hard enough in this life, I've endured enough hate, and shed a lot of tears. So, it should be alright to rest now, right? I'm sure the people I leave behind will be sad, but I hoped that they would get over my death as all humans do. 

Because whether they know it or not; After losing everything, death has never looked so comforting. I wanted to step into its warm embrace, the only fear holding me back being the fear of the unknown, but after seeing everything else I've suffered through, that fear wasn't hard to overcome, I was willing to risk it. But whatever I was willing to risk wasn't enough. 

Opening my eyes and being met with the same hospital ceiling that I was getting bored of was a sign that I took from death. It didn't want me yet.

My throat hurt, the inside and the outside, a reminder of how I tried to hang myself. I faintly remember the scream of the nurse running into the room as soon as I stepped over the ledge, and felt the arms of the doctor that hoisted me up to undo the scarf that was choking me, but other than that, there was nothing I recalled.

I wonder if my dads' will be angry? Who am I kidding, this incident will probably be enough to make them want to abandon me too.

As if on cue, the door slammed open, and two male figures ran into the room.

"Dahlia!" Nico's voice was the first to shout out.

"Are you alright!? Why the hell would you-" It was Oliver this time. I don't think I've ever seen him look so agitated before, it surprised me.

But here I was, doubting their love for me for a split second, a foolish thought.

"I-" My voice failed me, refusing to exit my throat, and I couldn't be the least bit surprised. After losing my right leg, I've now lost my voice, and I wonder what's next? I almost rolled my eyes at the situation.

"Don't speak. The doctor said it'll take some time before your voice comes back," Nico held my hand, tears staining his face as his voice trembled in fear. 

I felt sorry, and guilty, all of a sudden. These men saved me from a life of loneliness, and this is how I repay them?

I couldn't speak, so I couldn't apologise. But I could cry, and that's what I did. Silently, my tears mimicked his in falling down my cheeks, and when he smiled in what was supposed to be assurance, more of them followed. 

I didn't deserve them, but they were here, comforting me after I threatened to lose them. Out of all the children in that orphanage, they adopted me, they wanted me to be the one to call them dad. My birth mother didn't want me, but these people did.

And that was all that seemed to matter. I wanted to apologise, so hard, I wished the words would leave my throat, but they didn't need to for them to understand.

"It's alright, Dahlia. You don't need to say anything," Nico smiled, wiping my tears away as he held my hands firmly in his.

"Yes, no matter what, just remember that we love you, okay?" And I nodded my head.

Things were hectic after that, there was never a moment where I was allowed to be alone except when I needed to go to the bathroom, and even then, I would hear someone guarding me outside the door, Isaac, that best friend of mine, being the prime perpetrator.