4. Emo Nails are Fabulous

I had my first class today.

Me, Hoodie, and Masky had exchanged notes and made copies of them so we each had our own, but even with the notes I struggle with keeping up in class.

The professor talked at such a fast pace that I could barely process what she said before she moved onto the next thing.

It was extremely stressful, to say the least. After the class was over, I heard a pair of footsteps approach me. My hand flew towards where I kept my knife and I stood up straight, though relaxed when I saw it was just Jack.

He had, once again, tracked my movement from my hand to my waist, no doubt figuring out it was a weapon of some sort. I hoped he wouldn't try and report it. I would hate to have to kill him.

"You still want me to paint your nails? I can give you some of the notes from the class while they dry. I know keeping up with this professor can be difficult at first," he offered generously.

I nodded and he led the way.

We ended up sitting on a table outside, the breeze ruffling through our hair. I had my jacket tied around my waist today. I couldn't do long sleeves right now, it felt too weird.

"Aren't you cold?" Jack asked me as we got settled, putting our bags on the table.

I just shrugged. I didn't check the temperature today so I wasn't sure what would be considered appropriate dressing for today. I pulled out my phone and saw it was 45 degrees.

Yeah definitely a jacket day. I had too much pride though and didn't put it on. I would rather get sick then admit defeat.

Jack pulled out a small container of black nail polish from his pocket, then gestured for me to put my hand on the table. I did as instructed and he opened the nail polish and started painting my nails.

It was a weird sensation at first but I got used to it, eventually ignoring it completely as I zoned out.

"What happened to your hands?" Jack asked, pulling me back to reality.

I looked down at my hands. I had forgot how many scars were on them from me biting at them.

"I chewed my hands a lot during breakdowns, I guess it left some scars." Some scars was an understatement, considering how half of the skin on my fingers was made up of scar tissue.

"Didn't that hurt?" Jack asked me.

It should of, considering I was ripping the skin off of my hands, but again, no pain.

"I have a high pain tolerance I guess," I said, shrugging again.

Jack just hummed in acknowledgment and continued painting my nails.

Once he finished, he took out his phone and snapped photos of his notes and sent them to me. I was examining my nails as he did that, liking how the polish looked on them.

"I like it a lot, you did a really good job," I said, ginning at him.

He grinned in return, "I don't think I've had a day within the last 3 years where my nails didn't have polish on them, I would hope it looks good."

"How old are you?" I asked him.

"19, I turn 20 in march."

So we were super close, age wise. That was sort of comforting. "I'm 19, turning 20 in april."

"Oh so our birthdays are super close, that's pretty cool," Jack said, tucking the nail polish back into its place in his pocket.

He stood up and grabbed his bag, "I have to get going because my next class starts in a few minutes, I'll see you later though?"