14. Scrabble with a Blind Person

Words games had never been my favorite.

After being pulled out of school at a young age due to extensive bullying, I never bothered to put effort into learning things.

Lyra did her best to encourage me to do my homework, though at the time I was supposed to be a couple years away from graduating high school, I was still at an 8th grade reading level.

I had made quite a bit of progress since then, spending quite a bit on my free time at the mansion reading books.

Over the past week though, I had accumulated a pile of Star Wars books that I halfway through.

There were 25 books total, 19 of them being from the New Jedi Order series and 6 of them being episodes 1-6.

I had never too interested in reading, though the boredom bed rest had put me through was enough to change my perspective on it.

The most eventful thing I had done the whole time i've been stuck in bed was be moved upstairs into my room.

Jack had carried me up while I forced Smiley to carry up my Star Wars books. He struggled to carry them all and balance them in his arms. He nearly fell down the stairs multiple times too. I know it wasn't his fault that I was stuck on bed rest, though I couldn't help but feel a tiny bit satisfied seeing him struggle.

I heard a knock at my door and yelled a quick 'Come in'.

Jack appeared in the doorway, his mask slid up and onto the side of his head to reveal his face, which was currently displaying a very concerning big grin.

"Are you trying to become a Jeff 2.0?" I teased him from my spot across the room.

If he had eyes, he would definitely be rolling them right now.

"Actually, I brought a game with me this time," Jack told me.

I instantly perked up. 

From behind his back, Jack pulled out a sadly familiar red box.

"Jack, how the fuck are you going to play Scrabble with me." I stated blandly, staring down the wooden letters that had been printed onto the cover to spell out Scrabble.

He just shrugged and set the game on the table next to my bed. He was lucky I kept my Star Wars books on the floor, otherwise he wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

He pulled a chair over to the table and sat himself down on it, opening the box.

He felt around the box for a minutes before removing the bag that contained all the wooden letters, the small wooden stands for the letters, and prying out the game board from the bottom.

He kept the letters in the bag because it wasn't see-through.

After unfolding the board, he handed me one of the stands and kept one for himself.

"I don't know how this is going to work," he confessed.

"You can just show me your letters and I can read them off to you," I suggested.

You technically weren't supposed to show you opponent what letters you had, though because Jack was blind, the rules could stand to be bent a bit.

He nodded and then reached into the bag and pulling out seven of the wooden tiles. I followed suit, grabbing seven of my own tiles.

He grazed his fingertips over the front and back of each tile, making sure to place them with the letter facing out.

After setting up my tiles, I asked him, "So who's going first?"