019

ji's p

ji's p.o.v

"So, I can go home early today?" My hand that was placed around the strap of my bag clenched, as I glanced at the closed sign of the convenience store I was going to work in today.

"Early? You won't work at all today, stop talking nonsense." My boss shook his head. His glasses were sitting low on his nose, "Why would you work on Thanksgiving? Go celebrate with your family and stop bothering me. I'm late as it is."

Celebrate. Family.

Two of my favorite words.
Something about hearing them made my stomach hurt.

"Thank you and I apologize." I quickly bowed, looking around flustered, "Things have been a little stressful for me so I forgot-"
The adult just walked past me angrily, cursing to himself here and then while I continued to stay on the same spot as 2 minutes ago.

I didn't know what to do.

It's a national holiday, meaning that most businesses and schools are closed.

And that means that probably all of my part-time jobs are closed.

Meaning I'm free today.

But why am I not happy?

"Fuck." I looked up to the sky, my neck feeling strained as a sarcastic, almost self-pitying smile made its way up to my face, "I'm so lonely."

I looked down to my phone again, my battery was almost empty and the next bus would take another 30 minutes of waiting.

I didn't want to go home.

Just when I was about to let out a sigh in despair, my phone rang loudly, startling me. I quickly picked up, my head was clouded by loneliness. I didn't even think twice and didn't even read the caller's ID.

"Hey Ji! It's me Jungwon."

My eyes widened at how different his voice sounded.
Sleepy. Tired.

But still, nice.

"How did you know?"
My voice couldn't conceal the fact that I was happy.

"Know what?"

"That I was thinking of you."
I smiled sheepishly as if he could see me, putting on the flirtiest voice I could do.

It was quiet for more than a minute, before Jungwon finally talked.

"I was surprised. That was smooth."